Rock icons in LOS.....(cont)

Sukhumvit asked the question is the BUST YA CHERRY!!!! thread , are there any Rock n Roll icon places in LOS , like the Doors Cemetery place in Paris , where people make pilgrimages .

I am very interested in this topic . More specifically however I am interested in the experiences of Shane Mcgowan from the Irish/English band the Pogues .

In aroung 1991 or 92 Shane came to LOS for some "inspiration" , it is a well known fact that Shane is a alkoholic ( though he has cut it back to just wine & beer now I belive ) , & has a history of drug abuse ( not holding that against him ) , so in all likelihood he came to LOS to get pissed & chase the dragon .

Shane stayed in LOS for a few months & wanted to open a bar at 1 stage .His next albumn was called "Hells Ditch" ( a winner ) , it has songs such as "Summer in Siam" , "Sunny Side of the Street" & a number of other LOS influenced tracks.

Shane would have visited many of the bars & clubs here in LOS , though i do not have any specific details......yet!

I want to know if ANYONE ever met Shane or knows anything about his time in LOS . Or any other good stories of this R&R type.

I can strongly recomend getting any of the Pogues albums , but especially "Hells Ditch" for all of us Thai addicts.

Take care.

If it is such an obsession to you how this man spent his time in LOS. Why don't you start by

establishing what hotels he stayed at. Then you might be able to work out who his drivers were and what pubs he frequented.

Zoot,

Interesting topic because i'm sure a few famous and well known folk have taken the plunge into the unique scene here. It wouldn't surprise me at all.. Rock n Roll, alcohol and sexy girls... It's all here really. I know of the Pogues and am familiar with a few tracks..would be interested to hear these other thai influenced ones, will try and download 'summer in siam' from the net.

Also, there was a thread done here before about famous people sighted in the bars in bangkok over the last 30 years or so. Can't remember if Mr. McGowan got a mention. You could do a search for the thread and have a look though..were some interesting tales in there.....

cheers

Good ta hear from you again Mr Dan,I am glad someone is interested in this sort of thing , I know they are human just like us but it is still f**king fascinating to hear about someone famous getting a good sorting in a blow job bar by the same girl that you did last time you were in LOS.Imagine the stories you could tell!

I will take your advice & search for the famous folk thread , anyone remember waht it was titled?

I found the famous folk thread & enjoyed it very much , no mention of Shane though.

I personnally think he was put off in LOS by all these English TV wankers & clapped out snooker players , so he through himself into the darkest heart of the thai scene , where none of us can report from !

There was a thread a couple of months ago about Shane Macgowan. I cant remember if it was part of the famous people or whether he earned a thread of his own. Try searching under his name and you should find it.

I dont know whether he could be termed a rock icon (actually I know he couldnt) but Yanni is popular down Phuket way.

Archived