Western Men Have Always Liked Thai Women!

I was on a long flight a few days ago and killed time by reading the book "The Honourable Company - A History of the English East India Company" by John Keay. The following passage got me thinking:

"The ubiquitous Captain Hamilton maintained that the attraction of Ayuthia, the Siamese capital, had little to do with trade and a lot to do with Siamese hospitality. 'The Europeans who trade to Siam accommodate themselves with temporary wives, who', the Captain reports with, presumably inside knowledge, 'generally prove the most obedient, loving and chaste.' They were also wonderfully understanding and raised no objection over their red-faced husbands 'continually carousing in drunkenness with wine and women.' Here was indeed was the Captain calls 'a free country' ..."

So, not much has changed since the days of Captain Hamilton, an employee of the East India Company in the mid-17th century. It just struck me that instead of so many Thais being put-off by Westerners going after their women, or being ashamed by their women making themselves available to Westerners, the Thais should rather be proud of their womenfolk - bloody proud!

Thai women are popular around the world, so what's your problem, Messrs. Thaksin and Purachai, when the world comes to Thailand to meet them??

I'm not trying to incite a major discussion here, just conveying a few thoughts. Cheers.

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

I read the book myself a year or so back - an interesting read.

I've just been in a discussion with a few work mates who have travelled fairly widely about my choice of living in Thailand.. They came out with Nepal and Australia as two great places to live, I don't dispute them but for decent looking women it's got to be Thailand.

Originally posted by anonymouse:

"I read the book myself a year or so back - an interesting read.

I've just been in a discussion with a few work mates ... They came out with Nepal and Australia as two great places to live, I don't dispute them but for decent looking women it's got to be Thailand."

I certainly agree with the latter part of the last sentence - no better lookers far and wide!

As for living in Nepal, I'm not so sure - the scenery is great, the people are very friendly, but the infrastructure is abysmal; and then there's always one or the other "hartal" looming (every bloody thing has to close down due to the pressure of political hooligans).

On a more positive note, there are many pretty women in Kathmandu, but getting any of them ... It's about as difficult as getting on top of Mt.Everest!

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by anonymouse:

there are many pretty women in Kathmandu, but getting any of them ... It's about as difficult as getting on top of Mt.Everest!

if thailand had no "sanuk" scene.. getting a (pretty or not pretty) women would be as difficult as getting a Lumpinee belt laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived