Is This A Great Country or What

kokoricoboy

While working in Asia for a three year stint, I was fortunate enough to have visited BKK six times. I am now back in my home country, and I can honestly say that those visits to BKK were the best times of my life. Yes, I can drink cold beer anywhere, so thats not it. I can see partially or fully nude females in any city on any continent, so thats not it. I travel a lot in my job, so BKK didn't make a particularly mystical connection due to being a foreign culture, so thats not it. Damn. Its the girls. Yeah, thats it.

I went to NEP on my first trip as a meeting place after a business dinner. It was in '96, and I don't think Pharohs and the other places were in the middle of the street level at that time, it was just a small bar at the far end with a wide wooden bar and lots of coolers underneath. The greatest thing about that bar was the fact that there was an outdoor kitchen that the dancers went to eat at. It was right behind the bar and it was such a totally pleasing experience to watch them come and go. My God, I have never seen anything like the women that would take their lunch breaks there. On my subsequent trips, I never went anywhere else. I have no idea where Soi Cowboy is, Clinton Plaza sounds irrelevant, and I drove through Patphong on my way to a riverboat dinner cruise. NEP is heaven.

I diddled and dallied, of course I did. But about my fourth trip I made a connection, and on my fifth and sixth trip, resumed that connection. Its the girls. Its the culture. Its the foreigner that makes that connection. Laugh at me, flame me, feel sorry for me, I don't care. It broke my heart; it was the most difficult thing I ever did in my life, to leave that last time. If I take nothing else away from Thailand, I will always believe that if I had returned, or if I took her with me, that I would have enjoyed unconditional devotion from her.

Those of you who are about to visit, you are fortunate. You will have much enjoyment and take away good memories if you are careful, and treat the women right.

Those of you who live there, save me a spot at the bar.... I just might join you one day.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived