For those of you with Thai wives in the US

I'm heading to LOS in a few days to pick up my tirak and bring her back to the US. There is a good Thai market near my home, so we've got the food thing covered. I've had her shopping the last few trips, and have been bringing home suitcases full of new clothes and shoes at Thai prices, so that's covered for a while.

What have your wives missed that they can't get in the US, or wish they had bought and brought with them? One thing we did think of was a good mortar and pestle for cooking Thai food. Anything else we will wish we'd thought of??

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: PakWaan ]

Been married to Thai wife for 6 years and lived in the States. Just got back from LOS yesterday as a matter of fact. She may miss certain food items that are unavailable here. Also Thai magazines. If you can rent Thai soap opera videos she will appreciate it..oops sorry, bad idea. Certain fruits too. Mostly food stuff.

Aloha,

Pakwaan......I have been married to my Thai wife for 4 1/2 years and we live in the U.S. I am sure you have thought of it but she will probably miss her family the most. Almost all other things you can get here or have imported from Thailand if you can't get it here. But the one thing she will never have here is her relatives. Unless you are planning on them visiting or coming also, then you can ignore all of this. Just prepare her and yourself for the realization that she will at times probably be depressed knowing that she just can't hop a bus or plane and visit them. I hope this is not coming out as being sarcastic at all as it is not meant to be. Just want you to be prepared for some possible emotional distress at times. That was the one thing I didn't prepare for. Things are great now but there were rough spots. Just thought I'd give ya my 2 satangs worth

I have been married to a thai for 6.5 years. We live in the states and it has been a blast! All the new things for her and exploring the different areas, VA, LA, FL and GA that we have lived in for the food and things that make it seem just a little like home. Ussually you can find a thai market in major cities where ever you go. Once you find one then the bamboo telephone is up and working. They will let eachother know where to go to get what they need. Besides the food, my wife missed thai TV, I fixed that with a relatively inexpensive solution. Ku-Band satellite system that gets Thai TV 5 for free. We also order books in thai off the internet. Get her a job, her own car and her own bank account and she is happy. Don't let her hang out with just Thai people she has to live a little in out world too. My wife always wanted to go home at first, but with time, friends resposibility of a job and a new house, that has passed. Now I ask her if she wants to go home and she says don't push me, I'll go when I am ready!

Just some thoughts from on very happy guy...

Will a Buddha image be needed? Of course, internet is a given! Maybe even "his and her" internet. Time will fly and there will be return visits to Thailand. Nothing will be missed for long.

Best of Luck smile.gif" border="0

Archived