Thai-English Dictionary

DocThai

There a several good English-Thai dictionaries available that show you how to phonetically pronounce the word in Thai, even a couple good ones for the computer with "talking" dictionary.

However, I have been combing the shops looking for the opposite... a Thai-English dictionary which shows how to phonetically say the word in English using Thai script. Surely there must be something available out there!

sure that's out there, but don't look in places like Asia Books or Bookazine for it, you gotta go to the bookstores primarily aimed at a Thai audience: the ones at Central or Robinson should do the trick, or one of those bookstores in malls which only have thai books: Ekkamai mall has one, so does Fortune, even the Lotus mall at On Nuch station, if memory serves. there are also several in siam square, can't remember which numbered soi.

another good place to try would be the huge Kinokuya in Paragon, they have a very extensive thai language section, unlike the Emporium Kinokuya.

preahko

• 1 month later...

DocThai,

If you don't mind using a software dictionary you could try the ThaiSoftware product. I have begun using v5.5 of the Home Use Edition dictionary. This includes a number of Thai-English and English-Thai dictionaries. The entries for the English words include a phoenetic guide to pronunciation (of the English word) written in Thai script.

It also includes an audio guide to pronunciation (optional install) for both Thai and English words. I can't comment on the Thai pronunciation but the English pronunciation has a lot of mistakes (e.g. Uranus pronounced as Ukranus) and does not differentiate between present tense, future tense and other forms of a word (e.g. destroy, destroys and destroyed are all pronounced as destroy). Word translations are also inconsistent. You look up an English word to get the Thai equivalent and then reverse the process and end up with a different English word.

Still, a usable product and only cost 299 baht for a legit copy.

Regards,

KF

I've got a pocket book dictionary for Thais called "Modern English-Thai Thai-English Dictionary". Bought it a while back; dunno if it's still around. Dark blue cover. Published in 2540 by Thai Watthana Panit.

It has what your looking for: English words are written in straight Thai script to show how they are pronounced. Interesting and useful when trying to learn Thai script.

Warning: hard on the eyes if you're getting on in years.

Bif

• 3 weeks later...

The best dictionary I have seen is from Mary Haas. Oddly enough, I had to order mine from amazon.com in the US because I couldn't find it over here. Even more annoying, an ex Thai GF (who now teaches at a certain Thai university) swiped it several years ago and I haven't been able to find a replacement here.

Se-ed's dictionary is good if you can read Thai. I think it is intended for Thais. In the section where English language words are listed alphabetically, the first Thai characters (in parenthesis) following the English language are used to approximate the sound of the English word, which is not particularly useful for a native English speaker. But after the paranthetical you will find the corresponding Thai word. The second section of the dictionary is organized according to the Thai alphabet, which is quite useful. IHMO, however, the Mary Haas dictionary is far better.

Anyone here know where to find the Mary Haas dictionary in Thailand, or I am going to have to order another one from amazon? (I'd rather pay amazon another US$45 or so then deal with this particular ex.)

Archived