Bribery? What bribery???

Flashermac

THE NATION

10 April 2006

EC 'absolves' PM over funds promise

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra did not break the election law by promising to allocate SML funds to a village during his rally in Khon Kaen's Ban Pai district, the Election Commission sub-committee ruled yesterday, a source revealed.

Thaksin had been reported as saying to Ban Nong Pue villagers, "This year, Ban Nong Pue received Bt300,000 from the SML fund, next year it will receive Bt300,000 and the following year Bt300,000 but on the condition that I must be the prime minister.''

The government fund is allocated based on the size of the village - small, medium or large (SML).

The sub-committee investigating the complaint ruled that Thaksin did not break the law because the SML is part of government policy and the money promised is given out of state funds and not that of the Thai Rak Thai Party or from other private sources.

With regard to the second complaint about the "Caravan of the Poor" organising a concert at Chatuchak Park in support of Thaksin as the next prime minister, the sub-committee ruled the group had the right to gather peacefully, the source said.

As for the complaint against Pochanee Pompet, Thaksin's mother-in-law, for giving away T-shirts and headbands with the message "Thaksin Su Su" or "Thaksin keep on fighting", the sub-committee could not reach a decision after a long debate, the source revealed.

The committee has sought cooperation from television stations to present any TV footage as evidence but no station has responded so far.

The sub-committee said if Pochanee had given away the T-shirts and urged people to vote for number 2 (Thai Rak Thai), then she would have broken the law, not otherwise.

The sub-committee has reported the results of their investigation to EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp, the source said.

The sub-committee investigating the complaint ruled that Thaksin did not break the law because the SML is part of government policy and the money promised is given out of state funds and not that of the Thai Rak Thai Party or from other private sources.

Politicians the world over make campaign promises to help their constituents financially through policies in exchange for electing them. This is legal in Thailand as well so seems like the allegation was nothing more than a witch hunt.

Similarly, I've yet to hear any evidence whether Thaksin's non-taxable company sale to singapore broke any laws or was purely legal.

Hence, getting rid of Thaksin may be a slight deterrant, but won't get rid of "corruption" as long as these type of things remain legal and no policy changes are made to eliminate them.

Some years back it was made illegal to give anything to voters which might be considered vote buying. In the past Thai candidates might come into a village and give away free clothing, pots and pans, plastic buckets and utensils -- you name it, even radios. It was clearly an attempt to buy votes, so a law was passed banning all such "gifts" when combined with politicking.

Note it says "... if Pochanee had given away the T-shirts and urged people to vote for number 2 (Thai Rak Thai), then she would have broken the law, not otherwise."

It is all right to give away anything you want ... as long as you don't combined it with a request for votes. The distinction is obviously a bit fuzzy. If a candidate is giving anything away, it is clearly meant to influence the voter. Why not just ban gifts during election campaigns outright and have done with it?

Ok, the line between "pork" and bribes can be fuzzy, but, as far as I am concerned, pork is not kosher either. And, come on, this was so damn blatant that I don't see what else you would call it.

I am not a big fan of mobocracy, but I can understand why the Democrats did what they did (PAD is another matter). There are very good reasons why the educated middle class in Bangkok are so damn fed up with the blantant corruption of the current government.

Archived