Changing money?

Jimmy_S

Hi Guys,

I'm in BBK soon and want some advice on changing money.

In the past, I have always just drawn money straight out of my Australian account at the ATM, and the exchange rate has been fine ~24b/$ the money changers in Oz want ~20b/$ a 20% levy just to have baht as you land.

This time I'm bring some cash up, not much, so I wanted to know whether what sort of rates and charges might apply at the Thai money changers?

OZ MAN , the rate is around 23baht to the dollar or it was 3months ago, well thats what i was getting from the mobil exchange in Pattaya. I was not getting charged for the exchange as far as I know so I would presume that the charge was built into the exchange rate they offer, how ever do shop around a bit I have seen the rate difference in the same street of atleast 2baht to the dollar.

Hello Oz Man,

Another option you might consider is to change your Oz dollars to US dollars in Australia, and bring US dollars to exchange in Thailand. I live in Canada, and did some research on this. I found a place in my hometown that gives me a very good Canadian/US dollar rate, then I checked out The Bangkok Bank exchange rates at:

http://www.bbl.co.th/bankrates/fx_rates_curr.htm

As it turns out, it was better for me to change CAD to USD in Canada, then USD to baht in Thailand, compared to changing CAD directly to Baht. This could be the same situation with Oz dollars.

JG

I live in Pattaya and use a combo A$ trav cheques and a card. For some reason the rate for A$ (don't know about other currencies) always seems to be best at Bangkok Metropolitan Bank http://www.bmb.co.th/index_rate_exchange.htm

Remember you always lose money in commissions when you change money... A$>US$>THB rather than just A$>THB. Unless you think the A$ will fall relative US$ to an extent that covers all these commissions, then you're probabaly better off with A$.

Tip for Aussies and Kiwis buy 500 ANZ Bank shares, good dividend good growth. You get a Privilege Card... one of the many perks is commission free Amex Trav cheques. You get more for TC than cash in Thai banks.

Don't bother buying Thai baht in Aus. Much better exchange rates at BKK airport open 24 hrs.

Archived