Any Info on Saunk in Shanghai???

Pianoman

I have a good friend who just moved to Shanghai after spending 9 months in BKK... He has e-mailed me asking if I could aid him in finding "Relief" in Shanghai... All of my China adventures were in the south, and I know nothing about Shanghai... Any suggestions that I can pass along???

Pianoman

As in all Asian cities the Hard Rock Cafe is a good bet. Your friend would not have to wait long before being approached.

Manhattan Bar is very famous but after the last crackdown by the authorities last year when all the ladies were rounded up and either jailed or taken out of the city it moved to a new location and IMO no longer has the same atmosphere.

It's old location 'JuLu Lu' (or something loike that) has a strip of bars that stay open all night and abound with Freelancers.

Also your friend might want to try the local

"What's On or Time Out' or whatever it is called. It is full of personals from chinese girls wishing to practice English with farangs

There is a little action in the Pudong ShangriLa nightclub, but I mostly liked the strip by the Manhattan Bar (there also is a nearby restaurant named Folk, that is tasty!!!). I am sorry to hear there has been a crackdown.

The clubbing areas listed in the Lonely Planet for Shanghai all generally have some action. But, you really have to know the game in Shanghai, if you are going to get something good for under $100. frown.gif" border="0

• 1 month later...

Just a very quick update:

Was in Shanghai for six days last week, and popped into Hard Rock a couple of times. Nothing but blokes watching football at the bar. Perhaps the ladies have been chased away?

That being said, right next door in the Long Bar (upstairs in the Portman complex) was full of freelancers, including at least one Russian bleach blonde. Talked a little to a Chinese one and was told that it was a "big problem" going to most hotels after 9:00 PM, although she said the Portman was OK (dunno, I wasn't staying there). She said something about "secret police" watching the lifts. Probably meant hotel security, but puts a damper on things either way.

Best bet: wait until you get back to BKK.

Archived