Jakarta - state of emergency?

Long Gun

Just been reading the Bangkok Post with 'interest' at Wahid's plan to call a state of emergency if the impeachment plans aren't dropped.

Adik, Maribayaman, anyone else with a finger on the pulse:

a) Do you think this will happen?

B) What would it involve? Ban on demos? Curfew?

c) Will it only happen in Jakarta or extend to Bandung, given that there seems to be lots of political activity there?

I'm just a little concerned that having finally got the green light to go there again ("It's a Muslim country, darling, like Malaysia!") the old bugger is going to mess up me holidays. I would be particularly worried if it became difficult to get out of the place as I only have a day spare before I fly to Japan (from Bangkok). I thought I would be fine getting in and out before the 1st August ...

Anyway, rough itinerary, 17, 18, 22 in Jakarta, 19, 20 and 21 in Bandung. Anybody fancy a beer?

LG

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

Just been reading the Bangkok Post with 'interest' at Wahid's plan to call a state of emergency if the impeachment plans aren't dropped.

Adik, Maribayaman, anyone else with a finger on the pulse:

a) Do you think this will happen?

B)
What would it involve? Ban on demos? Curfew?

c) Will it only happen in Jakarta or extend to Bandung, given that there seems to be lots of political activity there?

LG

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

Probably the same effect as the state of emergency he called during the last special assembly.

That is to say people in Jakarta will say: Jeez, Give me a break, Tisk-tisk, and Ha Ha. He is only trying to prolong the inevitable. Most everybody is resigned to his resignation be it forced or voluntary. Speculation as to the next Vice President seems to be the talk of the town these days.

quote:

Originally posted by Adik Gede:

Probably the same effect as the state of emergency he called during the last special assembly.

That is to say people in Jakarta will say: Jeez, Give me a break, Tisk-tisk, and Ha Ha. He is only trying to prolong the inevitable. Most everybody is resigned to his resignation be it forced or voluntary. Speculation as to the next Vice President seems to be the talk of the town these days.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm writing this at the airport while waiting to board. Mail me if you fancy a beer or a coffee.

LG

Yep Adik that is so true....Wahid's "state of emergency" threat is about as credible as his followers belief that their "magic" makes them immune to bullets.

If the political shit really goes down in Indonesia I'd say the main thing to worry about won't be curfews, but large scale riots like those in 1998. Whether those will pose a danger to the sanuk-focused traveller is mostly pure dumb luck, but if the bad stuff breaks out it might be wise to stay away from sanuking around Manga Bessar and Stadium, as Jakarta Chinatown is likely to see the worst violence.

From what I've heard Bandung is less prone to violent riots and might be a good place to bunker down in for anyone in the country when trouble breaks out. Do any of the resident sanukers think otherwise?

Long Gun I'm jealous....make sure you keep us all posted!

quote:

Originally posted by bintang:

Long Gun I'm jealous....make sure you keep us all posted!

Well, it seems I'm quite capable of creating my own 'states of emergency' without old Gus giving me a hand. (I've not had any serious detailed analysis so far from the girls I've spoken to, and I would say that Lintas and Osker must contain some of the sharpest minds in the country, wouldn't you?) though Gus doesn't seem too popular - "He can't look" being the major factor!

Anyway, I'll try to post the first one after this as it took place before I left but I've been ill since I got here, was already sick for the last couple of days in Bangkok, fever, aches, sore throat, nothing too dramatic and eased enormously by the spectacular ministrations of a lovely nurse last night. I stayed in bed in the hotel for most of the first 24 hours and dragged myself down to Blok M for dinner, couldn't eat much, couple of beers gave me dreadful wind and I was feeling a bit sorry for myself. Last time I was here I was with a very experienced guide and, feeling like I did, I wasn't sure if I was going to get very far. At my best I am not the world's most dynamic, charming and entertaining fellow - I'm a crap shag too, but they don't find that out until later! - and I was far from my best. Within seconds of walking into Oskar and taking up a discrete perch with a good view I was literally swatting these extraordinary ladies off my body, until, happily, the more aloof lady who was easily my top pick made her move and it was game over. Wonderful night.

Earlier I had phoned the lady who I met last year and wanted to take to Bandung to see if she could make it and it all sounded very dubious which I half expected - she has a more than regular boyfriend, works, studies and I would imagine has difficulty predicting her moves from one hour to the next.

In the morning the nurse proposed that she should come with me to Bandung to take care of me. It also transpired that she knows the 'tourguide' - I met her in J-J's so no surprises there, either. I didn't commit myself, thankfully, though it seemed an OK idea but we were woken at about 2.15 pm by the tourguide saying she was coming to my hotel to pick me up and take me to the station to buy the tickets for our trip! Minor palpitations!

Nursey immediately went into sulk mode "I'm not jealous!" as soon as I tried to explain so I left her to brood and went to wait in the lobby. Station vivit was unsuccessful - they sell 50% in advance and keep the rest back to sell on the day so the tourguide will get up early to go to the station again - aren't they lovely! - and I came back to the shopping mall (Taman Angrrek or similar) where I've been for a couple of hours. Kind of hope the nurse has gone when I get back, my fever is back and I fancy a sleep and a late run round Bats, J-J's and Tanamur.

Great to be back! More to follow

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Prosal:

LG

Thanks for this 'live report'.

More !!! (kiss them all from me in JJ)

Prosal

Well, I'm in the slowest internet cafe in the world so while I'm waiting for the next post to appear I will fill you in on my exciting adventures so far - all of which took place at home!!

Sunday night on the Sprite did not prevent the onset of some nasty bug which has taken over my system since I waved goodbye to the boys at a disturbingly empty Thermae. I spent the night and most of the next day spreadeagled on the sofa, clutching the TV remote and laptop onlie for the odd moments when I regained consciousness. I had arranged to meet Frogpatrol who promised - and delivered - some excellent info on Japan. Sadly, he is also another Ranger - 38 and looks about 18 - there's enough of them about already!

Anyway, I hauled myself together and went to do some crucial holiday shopping - condoms, Vitamin V (been meaning to experiment properly with this and thought it might help with my virus-induced lack of 'power') etc, etc. So, met the man, more Sprites and returned to try to do some hotel booking and pack my bags. I don't know why (well, I suppose I do really!!) but the thought did occur that The wife might pop in (from Buriram!) to say goodbye so I thought it might be a good idea to conceal any incriminating items first ....... at which point I fell asleep on the sofa. At 3.00 am I awoke (to say 'with a start' would be an understatement!!) as the front door opened and my darling wife appeared!! Apart from the 'normal' shock I was instantly aware that next to me on the sofa was a plastic bag containing enough incriminating evidence to cost me just about everything I value in the world. I managed to make enough fuss to get myself in front of the bag - I could see one of the boxes through the plastic! - and sat shaking for about 5 minutes until The wife went for a piss and I whipped the bag into the bedroom and threw it behind a case in the top of the wardrobe. I still wasn't convinced that The wife hadn't sussed something and spent a nervy 15 minutes or so shuffling about until she fell asleep. One of the most bizarre things about this whole incident is that, if a friend’s calculations were correct, is that it took place 365 days TO THE HOUR since I walked into the hotel in Pattaya, with a new chum, where she was waiting with the kids!! Remind me of this next year, somebody, please.

A sleepless night was virtually guaranteed from then on but I was determined that I would rescue the bag - not just because of the financial outlay but because I though The wife might stay on in Bangkok for a while and search the place! It could, of course, have led to me being unnecessarily caught red-handed but ..... I got the bag out of the room but still wondered whether she might check or 'repack' my bag so I bunged the condoms in a box of stuff someone left and hid the Vitamins in the bottom of a Vitamin C bottle.

Sometime later, I took a shower, woke The wife up and did me duty. She said she had come to say goodbye 'properly' - the weekend in Surin hadn't been too good from 'that' point of view - and to collect some things for the boys, though later she did admit that her main motive had been to try to catch me out butterflying. I'm not sure if I should have felt angry or flattered - no need to respond to this as I think I know who would say what! - but I have to admire her ingenuity and perseverance.

In fact I admire it so much that I have been in Jakarta for 24 hours and I haven't had a shag! Still not convinced she hasn't tailed me!! Nah, not really, but I slept virtually throughout the taxi ride, both flights and when I got to my room at about 7 (Jakarta must have the worst immigration counter in the world, surely!) I slept on and off through till 9.00 am when I dragged myself down to breakfast, then went back to bed until now. I still have a fever and general achiness so I will probably try a Melawai massage first before I trek around Blok M. I honestly feel like I don't give a toss whether I sleep alone or not but it's me holiday so I feel obliged. I haven't called my Bandung tourguide yet, partly because I don't want to hear that she can't come and partly because I would rather not have her wanting to come to the hotel tonight. If she's not available I will probably postpone the journey for a day. BTW, I am in the Boulevard Park Plaza in Simpli - not bad for the money - and ended up booking an 'Executive De-Luxe' in the Savoy Homann in Bandung - I noticed something on their website about reconstruction starting in October 2000 so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still going on as the price seemed rather low - $25 net incl 2 brekkies!

Oh well, onwards and upwards (hopefully!)

Archived