Brave Thai international to battle cancer.

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

http://www.cambridgeeveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/united/2006/05/03/8cc7bc9a-513c-4502-b722-ea19cb38591f.lpf

Waite: I'll win war on cancer

JAMIE Waite has pledged to play on for Cambridge United after being diagnosed with cancer.

United's No 2 keeper told the News last night of his battle with Hodgkin's disease - a form of cancer that attacks the lymph gland - and vowed not to let it beat him.

Waite, 20, was on the bench for Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Dagenham & Redbridge, but few people knew that he had been diagnosed with the illness two weeks ago after finding a lump between his shoulder and neck.

The Thailand under-23 international, pictured right, was due to visit Addenbrooke's Hospital to arrange a regime of chemotherapy which he has to undergo every fortnight for the next six to eight months in a bid to eradicate the disease. But Waite has said he wants to try to continue training and playing - despite the cancer spreading to his abdomen and chest, and the toll the treatment may take on him.

He said: "The doctors at Addenbrooke's have told me they don't know anyone who has played sport while they've had chemotherapy but it isn't unheard of.

"It's going to really test my character but Richard Chaplow at West Bromwich Albion had the same illness and managed to play through it so I'm hopeful.

"It hasn't affected me in the slightest yet but the chemotherapy will because it makes you tired and weak.

"We lost my dad last year so to

be told this about her son has hit my mum hard but the doctors have said they're hopeful it's curable."

Waite spent last term at the Abbey on a non-contract basis and hopes to be back for pre-season training.

He said: "The gaffer and Spearo (Tony Spearing) have been sticking by me 100 per cent and Greg (Reid, physio) has been really good helping me out."

To underline Waite's commitment to United, he is also trying to help the club arrange a pre-season tour to Thailand in July, which would see Rob Newman's side take on two of the country's top club teams.

"I've spoken to the Thailand FA and we're just trying to finalise everything now," he said.

"They've said they're willing to pay for everything bar the flights but if it goes ahead, I might not be able to go because of the treatment which would be definitely be a down point."

Meanwhile, David Bridges has been left out of the England National Game XI squad for the Four Nations Tournament later this month.

The United midfielder, who signed a new one-year deal last week, made his international debut in a 3-1 European Challenge Trophy win over Italy at the Abbey in February.

Archived