Myanmar Sanuk

I was referred hee from another board by someone who said that there were some people with Myanmar experience. Can anyone give me some info on sanuk in Myanmar? Places, prices and procedures? I know that there is fun to be had but info seems to be sparse. Thanks for anything that you can send my way.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by borracho13:

I was referred hee from another board by someone who said that there were some people with Myanmar experience. Can anyone give me some info on sanuk in Myanmar? Places, prices and procedures? I know that there is fun to be had but info seems to be sparse. Thanks for anything that you can send my way.

I was there early 1996. And there was

not a really sanuk scene.

I know only that expensiv hotels in Yangon

has freelancers sitting in the lobby. But

i don't have expierience.

The Myanmar Ladies are mostly beautiful.

A visit in this for me most beautiful

asian country is always great.

smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

To Borracho13:

Your handle means "drunk" in Espanol and I submit that a man would have to be quite intoxicated to consider "sanuking" in Burma. This is a brutal slave state, not unlike the regime that Pol Pot established in Cambodia. I urge you to reconsider. frown.gif" border="0

Originally posted by RapidoFreddy:

" ... a man would have to be quite intoxicated to consider "sanuking" in Burma. This is a brutal slave state, not unlike the regime that Pol Pot established in Cambodia."

I wouldn't deny that Burma is a shithole of a country, a ruthless dictatorship, but comparisons with the Cambodia of Pol Pot are somewhat exaggerated. In Cambodia, two million (?) people were butchered in cold blood; Burma represses more than it butchers (though butcher it does).

All in all I agree that Burma should be given a wide birth.

Guys, don't talk about what is Burma if you have not been there. The comparison with cambodia is out of place. Of course, 2 wrongs don't make a right, but pc ignorance is as insulting to me as right wing's. Indeed, Burma is not a free country, but that is why the experience of meeting resilient people in the face of an adverse government is a great experience and lesson to us, freedom-spoiled westerners. Besides, hardly a chance you'll see forced laborers, as they are taken from the border areas and at work in places you won't go (same as little hilltribe or Issan girls "working" in BKK Chinatown, or their brotheres breaking their back in Klong Toey factories, sad state you won't see, but has anyone boycotted LOS because of Human rights abuses?). I encourage anyone to get infos on these shameful practices but also not to avoid a personal trip to this most incredible place. Indeed,the people are great, though rangoon is now just another sprawling capital with polluting traffic every afternoon in the centre of town. Tons of shopping by locals going on, copycats junk food outfits and little supermarkets where there is always a line, so i doubt you will experience anything but the usual feeling of being in a 3rd world country that craves for western consumering while refusing to work out of its inherent poverty problems (as Issan for ex.). Big hotels have discos and the girls are there, waiting to meet you. this winter, the big hang-out was in the basement of the Equatorial, "Bubbles" i think. be warned, more expensive than in LOS (drinks too) and less skill, sanook-wise. Off Mahabandoola St, some discos on different floors of the same buildings provide a more interesting and local scene, with cheap entrance including drinks, fashion show, techno pop, dozens of Yangoon kids on a night out and yes: young freelancers. Outside Yangoon, better avoid the sad state of having to work such trade for the money. I hope you have an eye-opening trip.

Myanmar is not a free country, but in which

country the people are really free, not in one.

And many of the sad stories about

Myanmar it we can read in western countries are not true and full of false facts.

Some years ago i took a post in a

newspaper in my country after there were

a big story with wrong facts.

If you visit Myanmar open your eyes and

try to speak with people same i did before.

And when you can see the Myanmar people are you shure for example that Thai people are really happier...?

frown.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Mentors ]

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Mentors ]

a friend went last year, he said go to the 'rangoon entertainment complex'. pay $2 to get in, get a coupon for a free drink in any of the bars. a collection of bars and discos, and a no hassle short time hotel. why not ask the hotel for daily or weekly rates, stay close to the 'action', such as it is.

quote:

Originally posted by k11fan:

a friend went last year, he said go to the 'rangoon entertainment complex'. pay $2 to get in, get a coupon for a free drink in any of the bars. a collection of bars and discos, and a no hassle short time hotel. why not ask the hotel for daily or weekly rates, stay close to the 'action', such as it is.

Yes, that was the place i was talking about above. The friendliest disco is on the top floor, but they all close at midnight. So, be warned. Also, the 1000 kyat ticket gets you 2 drinks, not one. The girls are very young there. Usually a local scene, with the odd farang or 2 every evening. My pick, after you can always go tothe equatorial that closes around 1, 1.30.

Archived