Hotel Booking Websites Charging USD

Guys,

The thread of being charged USD for a Thai hotel has come up in another section on the forum. Thought that you might be interested in my findings posted in another forum.

Exchange rate used April 9th 06.

Hi all,

Have some relevant info for you. Not flaming any sites or promoting any.

When comparing website prices etc, pay close attention to the currencies that these companies will charge your credit card in. Have come across some websites, entered in my dates and hotel room etc. Rates are set in USD. Change to Thai Baht. Rates come up in THB.

Speak to online agent, ask my credit card is charged in USD or THB?. She answers USD for a BKK hotel and the agent is in Thialnd as well. Strange.

ok 62 USD for 2 nightsX 38.89, todays exchange rate by kasikornbank is 2411.18, not 2400 like the site says.

However there is small print" exchange rates are for indication purposes only"

Imagine if they charge you 41 USD as their exchange rate. 41X62 USD is 2542 Thai Baht.

So be careful when booking rooms and thinking you are getting the cheapest rate.

Tim

When I see prices quoted in dollars or Euros instead of baht, the needle on my I-am-about-to-get-screwed-o-meter starts twitching.

When I am booking hotels -- except maybe when I am booking high-end places like the Conrad or the Oriental on their US/multi-national website -- I want to see prices in baht.

Archived