Java quake kills thousands in Indonesia

WorldFun

Nobody cares since it was only one country, a country by the way is not on everyone's favorite list if you know what i mean....

It does point out that CNN and BBC will pay attention to places where westerners are injuried or killed (i. e. one and half years ago...)

Is not 5,000 a drop in the bucket these days for international disasters in third world countries?

I want more extended coverage of why a doctor would drop his two sons a la pattaya style and then jump to his death in NY....

Would not the follow-up be more more interesting than seeing piles of rubble and bodies pulled from it?

Do not earthquake pictures get old from year to year unless of course it is meaningful places?

I have always wondered about biulding life safety codes and more importantly compliance/enforcement with them in LOS?

Lets skip that last question..I think i know the answer!

CB

it all make sense guys, but here onboard we even have posters who live down there or are frequent sanukers - I recall Prosal very recently was indeed in Yogyakarta & surrounds?

also there must be others like me who have travelled Indo & does feel sadened by those continuous deadly events...

cardinalblue said:

a country by the way is not on everyone's favorite list if you know what i mean....

You must talk about islam.

Anyone who has been to Indonesia knows that people there are the nicest, the most naturally friendly, and, because of so many races and cultures mixes, the least racist and most tolerant of ALL countries of asia.

It's a great country, which can be proud to have built a nation from what was sixty one years ago, from Sumatra to Irian Jaya, only a maelstrom of divided islands, races, religions and cultures.

Many countries in asia could learn from this multi-ethnic and multi-cultural nation. God bless Indonesia.

Sure, and you're right to say "some of them".

What you read in the medias about indonesian islam is invariably negative. But medias forget to say that only 10% of the indonesian muslim population follow the pure "santri" form of islam and 90% a VERY tolerant blend of islam, hinduism and javanese beliefs. They also forget to talk about the 20 millions christians, the 10 millions hinduists, ect ...

-----------------------------------------------------

The Jakarta Post.

Merapi's activity intensifies.

The volcano, which showed a significant increase in activity following Saturday's earthquake in nearby Yogyakarta and Central Java, sent out hot clouds every 10 minutes and lava at three-minute averages.

The new lava dome, whose formation was first observed on April 28, continues to grow.

"The new lava dome's quantity has increased every day at an average of 150,000 cubic meters," said the agency's Merapi section head, Subandrio.

After weeks of activity, the volcano had been relatively subdued until Saturday's quake. Scientists warn the effect of the earthquake could cause the magma dome to crack or collapse, spewing out millions of cubic meters of volcanic rock and lava on surrounding communities.

--------------------------------------------------

Archived