Is Koh Samui worth a visit?

How is chaweng beach and Lamai managing with all the current night-time regulations?

Are there still plenty of girls in Lamai and Chaweng and are they friendly/attractive?

I remember visiting the only go-go bar on the island and was impressed with the vibrancy of the go-go girls . A lesson could be learned by their mainland counterparts who mainly just shuffle next to the pole.

Anyway an update on the sanuk scene in Samui would be appreciated.

i haven't been to samui since prior to the crackdown, but by the end of july this year most places closed at 2 am. the odd beer bar (in lamai, not chewang) managed to stay open until 4-5. samui's sanuk scence pales in comparison to phuket or pattaya-attractive girls can be found, but don't expect too many of them. there is no lack of respectable looking ones. however, the positive side of the equation is that the girls are FAR less business-like than at other sanuk venues-"up to you" is still the order of the day. if you establish a rapport with a girl, you can stay with her for a while and pay, on top of a very reasonsble 200bht daily barfine, as you see fit. however, the girls typically don't go with you unless they "fancy" you to at least some extent. but this in turn results in a great attitude once you get yourself a lady. thus samui seems a fine place to find one's self a "GF" who is in no position to demand that you subsidise her water buffalo. all in all, its a great place for low-key sanuking, nightlife and other amenities that thaksin wouldn't approve of. highly recommended, at least in my book.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks slipknot.

That was a good description of how I remembered the place. The girls are not pushy at all in Chaweng andare quite happy to just talk/entertain and pick up their bar wages, unless of course you can talk them back to your room. Makes a change from business-like BKK/Pattaya.

Mitch - thanks for your post and I look forward to hearing from you when you return.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: ozbod ]

Samui ROCKS in my opinion , get so fucked up over a few days that you can't communicate anymore then just lie on the beach , take the occasional massage or corn cob whilst you ................... smile.gif" border="0

zoot, mitch-

ah yes, men after my own heart indeed... i find that samui is a great place to indulge in a confluence of the two scenes in LOS, the sanuk scene discussed on this board and the other one (other "amenities thaksin wuldn't approve of" in my post) as well...

Guys. I was there in April. Have a ball. I had done the Phuket, Pattaya, even the Cambodia K11 thing and needed to chill out.

I hadn't been there for 10 years and it had certainly changed. Chaweng was pumping, went to the Green mango followed by another bar around the corner. Met a girl at one of the bars on the main street after a dissapointing night at the reggae pub. Stayed with her for 5 nights. she was as mentioned above free and easy. She really didn't care either way. Mind you her hand phone was permanently beeping with incoming messages from Europe. All those guy who send her money regularily. I saw he passbook actually and it had more zeros on it than mine. Some of these girls really get it sorted. I still liked Lamai for its peace and beautiful beach but Chaweng is certainly fun. If you stay in chaweng stay in Montien House. No surcharge for girls, on the beach

and a very relaxing tropical setting. I believe they have a website.

Regards

Gado

Archived