British Embassies new Visa section

Not pleased with the British Embassy?s new Visa Section

To the Editor;

I would like to express my feelings in respect of the recent administrative changes which have taken place in the Visa Section of the British Embassy, Bangkok. Gross negligence and inefficiency have resulted in a six week delay in my return to England with my Thai friend. Many requests by telephone have been ignored and it took two letters before I received a short reply directing me to submit the application to the new section that deals with the investigatory duties relevant to visa applications.

My friend has been granted a visa on seven occasions, on the last five the whole process has been conducted by post.

Now, despite of this record, I have feelings of apprehension because of the negative tone of the staff within the embassy walls, and the letters of complaint that have appeared in the Bangkok Post recently. These have to be read in their entirety in order that the full impact of the bitter discontent can be appreciated. Here are a few extracts: ?inquisition with a dragon lady? (Peter Bailey), ?this is deplorable? (Ron Martin), ?the discourteous treatment of some visa applicants? (John Shepherd), and ?there is no better way for a Thai citizen to be insulted ? pay 3,500 baht and visit the British Embassy in Bangkok? (Cho - Am, Jamal). These extracts give a fair idea of the scathing indictments that focus on the negative attitude of Visa Section staff.

My apprehension regarding this new company has made me consult an agent who is giving me advice regarding supporting evidence for the application, with the hope that it will be sufficient. Because of my complete ignorance of these changes I did not bring my bank statements, so it is feasible that a pedantic official will deem my evidence of income as being inadequate, which would prevent the application from going forward. The new company is V.F.S. (Thailand) Ltd., 2nd Floor, Regent House, 183, Rajdamri Rd., BKK. E-mail: info@ukvac-th.com Website www.ukvac-th.com Agent tel: 06-1138111.

It is sickening to realize that British ex-pats are finding so much difficulty in obtaining visas for Thai nationals. The British people are putting up with the criminal activities of the riff-raff from continental Europe, some of which remain in the country after prison sentences ? drawing state benefits. Thais in Britain, generally speaking, are well behaved and make positive contributions ? So why is there so much resistance to them? It would be very interesting to examine the statistics relating to crimes associated with Thais in the U.K.; there is virtually nothing reported in the British press on this subject.

During this time of change, the Visa Section should be helpful and courteous, bearing in mind that people like myself who had no idea of altered procedures would not bring bank statements in view of previous requests being granted with no bother. I sincerely hope that this letter will put all ?Brits? in the picture and prepare them for the battle to be faced if a visa is to be sought.

Mr. B. Palmer

pattayamail letters

Archived