All day rates for Phnom Penh taxi drivers

On my recent trip to Phnom Penh I was advised that the all day taxi rates run up to 8pm, and after that are $5 an hour. Several drivers said 'They kept me until 3am, and only gave me $20'. I have to agree, $20 to be available from 8am until 8pm is only 85 cents an hour. These guys need some time to themselves and to rest, or should be compensated accordingly for overtime.

quote:

Originally posted by HIGH THAIED:

??? So...what *is* the rate for an all day driver? (8a.m. to 8p.m.) $5 an hour?
crazy.gif" border="0

The rate for the all day driver (8 am - 8 pm) is $20. The $5 per hour (very negotiable) is generally requested by the drivers for working after 8 pm.

Shotover

I just got back. Paid $20 for all day as late as I wanted. i didn't stay out late and was reasonable with the guy. If I knew i was going to be in a place for 2 hours then i arranged a pick up time and he went off to eat or perhaps do another couple of short taxi runs. He needed a couple of new tyres so I hung around for an hour while he got it fixed. Give and take like in all situations I suppose.

Not wishing to be rude but Americans always compare it back to the dollar-not relevant.

Archived