info.... Veitnam (Ho Chi Minh)

vinod

Hi

I'll paln to visit Ho Chi Minh, during the Christmas for 3 days from Bkk. I've been in Bkk & PP quite a no., of times.

I would request if any board members can give some info about the sanuk, guest friendly hotels, (range upto USD 50 per night). Any other info about girls, disco, bars, would be of great help since I've only 3 days to spend & looking for a great sanuk time.

Thanks in advance...

vinod

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: vinod ]

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: vinod ]

Vinod,

HCM is vastly different from BKK in its approach to sanuk. Prostitution is very definitely illegal and rather risky for everyone involved. It is common for the police to raid the hostess bars and arrest everyone, including the customers (although one night in a bar I saw two Brits nonchantly leaning against the pool table while each of them got a blow job!). Also, the girls and the booze are expensive by BKK standards.

None of the upmarket hotels will let you have a room guest over night without registering them and paying for the second occupant. I have even been asked for a marriage certificate for my companion and I!

That said, the freelance scene is much better for good looking women than the brothels which are generally controlled by organised criminals. Two places I recommend to you are Apocalypse Now and Saigon Saigon. AN is a combo bar, pool hall, beer garden, disco place, while SS is more of a club type place with live entertainment most nights. These two places are within five minutes of each other by taxi. Both of these places will have quite a few attractive women looking for company on Thursday through Sunday - the other nights can be a bit quiet. Quite a few non-working girls go to these places as well, so offer to buy them a drink first - if they accept you can usually safely assume they are "on the game". Taxis are the best way to get around town, but many of the drivers will wait at your hotel and demand money from the girls when they come out later. This is difficult to avoid as many of the taxi drivers are just standover merchants who stake out the popular expat and tourist places to target the girls. You can try walking as HCM is quite a small city and the sanuk areas are fairly concentrated (in District 1 on the side north of the river). Walking is fine during the day, but crime is fairly prevalent and I would urge caution about walking too far at night.

HCM is nowhere near as friendly as BKK and you are much more likely to be stood over than scammed whereas the opposite is true in LOS. I would advise you not to go exploring the sanuk scene that is aimed at the locals until you know the local rules.

Please give us a trip report when you come back.

Regards,

DocM.

Archived