Danger in Paradise

Roger

Actually, I read about most of those instances. Being stung by a jellyfish or being in a motor vehicle accident of course doesn't usually make headlines anywhere. I was surprised to hear about the shallow graves by the airport and wonder if these tourist we really that or possibly people living in Thailand on a torist visa. No matter it goes to show you have to watch your back wherever you may be.

The 6 tourist murdured and found in shallow graves last year were victims of freelancer egyptian taxi driver.He would pick up his victems at Don Muang offering them cheap rides in his car to there destinations,drive them to a isolated place rob and murder them.The story did make the news in the bangkok post last year.

Roger, I have to question the journalism in the article. Sounds more like sensationalism to me.

I have question somebody who would write following:

"The tourists, many of whom are inspired by Alex Garland's international best-selling novel The Beach, recently filmed with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tilda Swinton, make Thailand the most popular tourist destination in south east Asia."

Really? What was #1 before Thailand? I read bs like that and I quit reading.

Well, 30 years or so ago a lot of young Americans used to head over to South Viet Nam. I suppose it was number 1 back then.

It was so popular that most of us stayed for at least a year.

p.s. I think it was 2 years ago that the tourists from Don Muang Airport were murdered. It wasn't any taxi driver either. It was an Egyptian who met lone men who looked liked they had money and offered to take them into town. Then he drove them off somewhere and stabbed him. Like ... you are going to come to Thailand and get into a private car driven by an Egyptian you've never seen before???

Flasher,

I didn't realize that all of those guys in Vietnam were tourists. Just think, all of this time my dad has been telling my he was drafted. I guess he just skipped out on me and my mom to have fun in Vietnam.

Seriously, I was just saying that the book/movie "the Beach" maybe led to a plane load or two of hippies and slackers to come to LOS. It didn't make it top tourist spot. Where else in the 90's was there to go in SE Asia? Yes you can visit all SE Asian countries, but where else, can you really have a holiday as a tourist?

Hi!

What also isn't mentioned in the article is the fact that several of those that were killed probably brought it on them selves by acting stupid. The Britton that was shot in Pattaya bar some time ago got himself involved in something that was clearly not his business. If he had kept a low profile and slipped away I doubt if the gunmen would have touched him.

As for the Egyptian I seem to recall reading that he targeted people with a poor command of the english language that he could speak arabic to. This would probabaly exclude most Europeans and North americans.

regards

ALHOLK

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: ALHOLK ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pom_Jao_Choo:

Thailand get's what ? Half a milion visitors each year ? ....where would you not find a few incidental deaths and murder's in a population of that size. Particularly when your dealing with a 3rd wrorld country.

Try 9 million.

But, yeah, the article does not really put the danger in perspective properly. Thailand is probably more dangerous than England, mostly just because of more lax safety standards (i'm suprized the author didn't mention the hotel fire in pattaya several years ago that killed scores), prevalence of diseases, tropical and sexually transmitted, but it's certainly not exceptionally so, esp. if you take proper percautions. This article just plays to people that love to worry.

I love the note from the Foreign Office, similar the the US State Dept warnings, "We believe that Thailand is one of a number of countries where there is an increased threat to British interests from global terrorism."

Please!! You're chance of being killed in a traffic accident far outweigh any threat from terrorists almost anywhere in the world.

"The Britton that was shot in Pattaya bar some time ago got himself involved in something that was clearly not his business. If he had kept a low profile and slipped away I doubt if the gunmen would have touched him."

They were two British builders who stood up to an agressive little Thai guy as he burst into the bar smashing it up and roughing up the bargirls. What man in their right mind WOULDN'T stand up to a bully in a situation like this? The poor Brits' mistake was that the Thai guy was a coward who brought a gun out when he realised the men wouldn't just pretend it wasn't happening.

If everyone thought of incidents as "none of their business" then we'd have a world full of people who thought they could get away with anything, and public who'd walk on by. Not a nice thought.

quote:

Originally posted by btm:

I have question somebody who would write following:

"The tourists, many of whom are inspired by Alex Garland's international best-selling novel The Beach, recently filmed with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tilda Swinton, make Thailand the most popular tourist destination in south east Asia."

You would have to question who taught them to write? If you actually look at the sentence closely it tells us that, surprise, surprise, it is TOURISTS who make Thailand the most popular tourist destination in SEA! What was it before, felt tip pens?

Or is it saying that the tourists only come here because of all the tourists. A walk down Khao San Road might make you think so!

LG

Archived