Anyone been to Madagascar ?

Azmit

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Azmit Gom:

I'm thinking of going there next spring or autumn, so any experience on local sanuk would be appreciated.

Nope, not been there. All I know is second hand.

Often thought about M specially when working in Africa. But not necessarilly knowing what I learned on other boards etc.

It's apparently breathtakingly beautiful with unique flora and fauna and all that but asides all that typically Africa, nothing much works and by all means it seems cumbersome to even get there.

One peculiar thing about M seems to be the fact that their's an overwhelming supply of "underage" girls, say 13-14. To a point it seems to develop into the "next" Ceylon.

Nobody seems to see any harm in the blooming sex industry and by all means it seems to be blooming.

M is a mix of Asian and African and logically (IMHO) there will be plenty of stunners above 18 too.

Not the average trouble-free destination like LOS (whAT THE HELL DOES los STAND FOR ???) but by all means one of the most intriguing destinations world-wide.

Thanks clickonline,

in the meantime I decided to go in spring and booked a plane for next May.

The more I read about it, the more I'm excited to go (but first my next trip to Land Of Smiles, LOS, in February !).

BTW I figured out LOS but don't understand the expression lol that I find in many boards : laughting ?

quote:

BTW I figured out LOS but don't understand the expression lol that I find in many boards : laughting ?

Stands for "Laugh Out Loud" I think. A common expression in chat rooms.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

• 2 weeks later...

I recently investigated airfares from BKK and visa requirements/costs will post my findings at rec.travel.africa.

IT IS BLOODY EXPENSIVE TO GET TO!

I haven't been yet but compared to Thailand, all I can say is 'And Rod Serling steps out from behind the curtain...' Not exactly easy going travelaccording to eperienced travellers.

All--

I've been to Madgascar. Went last year in July for a three day "exploratory" business trip... Spent 2 days in downtown Antananarivo (TNR). Suprisingly the native people are more Indonesian/asian than African in heritage. The official language is Malagasy, but french is widely spoken as well...

It has some phenominal wildlife as the island is home to literally thousands of native species not found anywhere else on earth.. very rugged and tough terrain.. Not recommended for the "average" tourist..

You've really gotta "want" to go there..

Our local UPS agent showed us around. I did not really see any "scene" per se.. Most of the best bars/lounges/discos were in the western hotels.

There were no "name-brand" western hotels that I saw.. only local versions of same..

In the downtown area you'll see "rick shaws" and "motorci taxis" as well...

Skip the place if sanuk is even remotely on your mind. But if you really want to be OFF THE BEATEN TRACK then this is the place for you!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived