Back in Bangkok

buddha

buddha,

'Luck' or chance whatever people want to call it will always be involved, but your apparent clearheaded & determined effort seem to have been the main driver toward what you achieved.

of course in the first place you have to either have the skills to fit in with some of the work waiting to be done with the companies of LOS or have the idea to setup your biz there.

About the cover letter I was abit taken aback as I think its correct you're the first to bring that angle up. not sure about your status & you don't have to tell, but for me as married to a TG I've tried to somehow use that as an advantage, but so far with limited luck.

the few interviews or conversations with potential contacts the issue never really came up.

With current managers when discussing potential relocation east its clearly THE reason who might one day qualify me in front of all the other expat wannabies, but as long as that LOS office is not opening it makes no difference :banghead:

I guess we represent one of two different attractive spectrums. I guess that being in a stable relationship AND having experience in the culture would make a more attractive candidate.

Many people I spoke with had more than one horror story of the guy who would show up with hickeys, have prostitutes move in to their serviced apartments, have them show up at work, and eventually have messy break ups.

Lots of people wanted to know how quickly I could execute a move. I was so unhappy in the US that I began unloading stuff like my tv, couch, car, etc. etc. more than 15 months ago. By the time I started discussing salaries with potential companies I was down to two groups of items. Stuff that I needed, and stuff that I was willing to jettison. When the time came I packed up a laptop, camera, and ipod and bounced. Having nothing is very empowering.

It helps to promote the idea that I can move as soon as I get a ticket, yet I wanted to give 30 days notice to my current situation. Make me the right offer and I can cut that down to two weeks. When someone asks you how long it will be to relocate and you can say "Physically I could be there tomorrow, but I think I should give fair notice..." it feels great.

buddha said:

It was very carefully worded...most of the people I was speaking with were falangs. I felt that having experienced the cultural highs and lows that go along with living and working and Thailand was as important as being qualified to do the job.

might make an interesting read if you'd care to post it :beer:

"Having nothing is very empowering"

...but only if you've had everything, and it was on purpose. ;)

Its hard to see while living in a materialistic society, but you're absolutely right. Did you invent an imaginary friend and have him burn the house down (a la 'Fight Club')? :)

Archived