Book recommended by CNN: Bangkok Tattoo

MaiLuk

I just saw a 15 second blurb on CNN Headline News that showed a picture of the book by Burdett (did not catch the first name) and the the "news" caster basically said this book is a great book to read this summer.

Hope this is not a "Farang finds drama in the dark side of pat pong" type of book. Explaining trips to LOS is a headache as it is. I met a farang girl recently who believed anyone visiting costa rica is going for the whores no exceptions. Did not bother to tell her i also go to thailand.

It's a sequel to Bangkok 8, we discussed it earlier in the year. They're not bad reading but flawed regarding Thai culture. I enjoyed them both as mystery/crime thrillers.

the hero is a Thai/American police detective, the only cop in Bangkok not on the take. his mother, a retired bargirl, and his boss constantly conspire to corrupt him. A good 'on the plane' read if not taken too seriously.

Both Bangkok Tattoo and Bangkok 8 are excellent reads IMO. The star of the books is detecitve Sonchai Jitpleechep, a lukkrung son of a BG and an unknown father. The novels are written from his perspective. The characters in the book are awesome, the plot in both books are over the top. I even reread Bangkok 8 within a year, that's how much I enjoyed it. The multidimensional, believable but extraordinary characters just jump from the pages. I have never read books set in Thailand that came even close to being as good as these two. :bow:

Archived