IT jobs in Thailand? (sorry its one of those threads!)

mattwasp

Just looking at this thread: http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/514225/

and didn't want to detract from the reason it was posted, hence the new thread..

Is this sort of position typical of the requirement for westerners in Thailand? Looking at the spec (which, I understand can only tell you so much!) there are some bits, like "...planning and implementing new systems to increase the efficiency of IT deployment." which, while very open ended, could sound more akin to the Technical Architect / consultative level positions in the west. Of course there is also the normal 'spread' of IT dogsbody tasks too, and a bit of cable pulling. In other words, 2 or 3 people would probably be doing this work due to the spread of skills if you look at a large IT outsourcing company in the UK. (EDS/Fujitsu/etc)

I'm just interested to hear any opinions on these types of jobs really. Is it typical? i.e. Is it a case of more being expected from the foreigner, or maybe more being expected from the in-house 'IT guy'?

Or should I shut up? :)

Archived