Top 50 movie endings of all time.

Julian2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Usual Suspects has a very clever ending, as does Hidden (the latter you really need to watch more than once on DVD or you could miss the point altogether).

Gallipoli has a very poignant freeze frame ending and the final shot of Truffaut's Les Quatre Cent Coups is also very affecting.

No doubt there are many others, but these four came to mind for me.

Yep, the young hero reaches out of a trench for the butterfly ... and BAM, a French sniper gets him. I think it is the morning of Armistice Day too. That's the way the book ends too. Worth noting that the author was about the same age as the hero and was wounded in action himself. He also had to flee Germany as a "pacifist" when Adolf took over. It's one of the best war novels written.

Lou Ayres, the American actor who starred in the original version, was so touched that he became a conscientious objector in WWII. Ayres did serve as an Army ambulance driver, but refused to carry a weapon at any time. My mother told me he came in for a lot of damnation from the American public for his reusal to kill other people. I've seen morons foaming at the mouth myself at the thought of anyone refusing to kill for their country.

Archived