Hanoi

Thanks for the info SPURNER. I downloaded the adresses from ADMAN's post but I was hoping for more bars of the Relax type.

The only other that seems to have any life in it is the Spotted Cow but I don't fancy dodging darts all night and there's no girls there.

Have heard of Verandah but haven't found it yet. Is it worth a trip?

Okay, I would have posted the info here but it wasn't officially public so thought I'd better post the link incase.

I've been to Hanoi several times now and can honestly say the girls there are the best in the world for sanuk (for me anyway). The only price I paid in Hanoi was 200,000VND ($14) and the girls would stay as long as the hotel allowed. I had some genuine freebies, some who had never been with foreigners(don't know if that's good or bad) and some genuine students who needed a bit of pocket money. I also had the cheapest sanuk experience of my life from Hanoi(25,000VND).

But there are very few places to go out at night and score from: Apocalypse (great despite what you may hear), New Century and Relax Bar. Queen Bee was another but has closed since my last visit. There are numerous others bars like The Golden Cock, Spotted Cow etc but these are full of ex-pats, Viet Kieu, and upper class locals and whilst a good place to hang out awhile, not somewhere to expect to pull from. This well depend on age, looks and VN language ability, not how much dosh you have got.

If you want info on Saigon however, I can name you over 20 places you can expect to pull from, day or night. Hanoi it seems is more quiet, quaint and restrictive in terms of what you're looking for. If you're going there strictly for sanuk I suggest you go elsewhere - or else you'll just have to make do with the limited places available. smile.gif" border="0

Do you have any specific info to share about Do Son, like hotels, nightspots etc? I did a quick search and it looks like a really nice place, but had never heard of it.

I haven't been in Hanoi for 18 months now, but always negotiated a 300,000ST down to 200,000. Probably VN economics has something to do with the pricing too (less customers so charge more money).

I head to Hanoi for business every now and then, say a couple of times a month so the lack of scene is not too much of a problem.

I've been to Apocalypse but noisy crowded discos are not my scene. The girls also want $50 so usually I don't bother as I head back to Bangkok after a couple of days.

Found Do Son to be more like it. $12 for all night but haven't found a reasonable deal in Hanoi.

Any directions would be appreciated.

Hi Spurner,

Do Son

depends on what you think is a really nice place? The beach makes Pattaya beach look nice. Apart from that there's a lot of Karaoke places where singing is optional, I think they'd think you strange if you actually did want to do some singing!

Anyway from the government tourist info book there's 2 - 2 star hotels in Zone II which is where all the karaoke are.

Van Thong - 031 861 1331 - $20-$45 per night

Hai Au - 031 861 221 - $20-$65 per night

I stayed at Song Xanh a no star guest house but clean and with A/C Dong 120,000 a night -031 862 154.

This hotel is on Van Hoa St. (Duong Van Hoa) which has a lot of karaoke on it.

The deal with this hotel is they have their own karaoke girls, you tell them you want a girl and they will parade the ladies before you until you choose one that you want.

If you don't like the look of theirs they'll go next door and next door but one etc. until they find one of your liking.

Their charge for this is added onto your bill. It's Dong 180,000 all night of which the hotel get 100,000 and the girl only 80,000 ($5)so she'll expect a tip.

If you happen to see anyone you like passing by outside the hotel they can also do a deal with her for you, they're flexible, but this may cost more.

If you'd rather wander about and look around then just walk along Van Hoa, there's plenty of similar hiotels and karaoke places to look in.

The road bends to the left and meets up with the Beach Road. At the bend in the road there's a gate to what looks like the car park of a hotel. This is a road just full of karaoke, just go through the gate and look in the places.

Still not enough for you?

O.K. go down to the beach road and keep walking keeping the beach on your left, you come to an area with some karaoke and just keep on going 'til you can't get any further and you're outside a hotel at the very end of town. In front of this hotel is another half dozen karaoke.

That about covers all I know about Do Son.

I'm told short time from one of the karaoke is Dong 130,000 including the room.

Hope you enjoy it there.

I found a new place in Ha Noi one afternoon called Suzy Wong's but it was closed as it was daytime. I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

Mmmmmm, I'm drooling already, sounds like a nice, easy-going type of place.

About Hanoi I found something I had tucked away which is supposed to be good, but never been there, sorry if some of the details/descriptions are a bit light!

1. Past the West lake turn left first street and take road till it ends, at the end of the road there are about 6 or 7 short time hotels. Pick one and enter and in a few minutes many ladies appear.

2. Thanh Hang Shampoo, 5 Ma May Street, 30000VND+ tip for a shampoo, facial, massage, a BJ may be possible, recommended for daytime activity.

3. Phu Huong Karaoke, 12 Lien Tri (Alley behind Ministry of Interior).

4. Thien Lac Do, 122 Pho Duc Chinh, $20ST

5. Karaoke Dieu Vy I, 162A Nguyen Trai,

Dong Da District, $20 - $30

6. , D&T Karaoke, 290 Nguyen Trai (162A So cu)

I believe all/most of this info is from Ad Man and has been posted before.

Tried Suzy Wong's last Sunday. It was quiet, only the 3 of us in there and no girls. They even had to go out for teh drinks we ordered!

One of the guys had been there before and said that 3 months ago it was packed with girls.

Maybe it was the heavy rains that kept people home 'cos Apocalypse was empty too.

Archived