Mexican Food

I've been to Senor Picos at the Rembrandt on Soi 20 a few times. I thought it was pretty decent by Bkk standards which really isn't saying a whole lot since there isn't much choice when it comes to Mexican. A big plus for me is that its open till 1 AM (as are all the eateries at the Rembrandt). You might give it a shot. Prices are a little on the high side - Expect dinner for 2 to run around 600 to 700 baht + drinks.

I had a decent enchalada at woodstock and nachos at hard rock cafe (pricey) were not too bad.

Overall, not a good mexican restaurant to be found in BKK. A business opportunity?

Tequilla Reef restaurant in Pattaya is the closest thing I have found so far to be approaching half-way decent. Atmoshere is better than the food, though. Is Mexicans in BKK like cows in Berkeley? I would settle for decent...........

Cardinalblue

Good Mexican food can hardly be found anywhere outside of Mexico, except perhaps in some places in the US like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California -- so why would you expect to find it in Thailand?

I've completely given up on it -- having tried them all -- from El Gordo's to Tia Maria, to Senor Pico, to Charley Brown's, and all in between.

I get my annual fix in Texas, and I've resolved myself to the fact that it's going to be only once a year.

Although cocina mexicana flavor wise is about as distant as Mexico City is from Bangkok you can try:

Barbican > Thanon Thaniya

El Gordo's Cantina> soi8 Silom

Thai Room > Patpong 2

In Pattaya:

Blue Parrot> Soi Pattayaland 2

Although cocina mexicana flavor wise is about as distant as Mexico City is from Bangkok you can try:

Barbican > Thanon Thaniya

El Gordo's Cantina> soi8 Silom

Thai Room > Patpong 2

In Pattaya:

Blue Parrot> Soi Pattayaland 2

I've gone so far as to bring tortillas with me

( living near tj, I can get a kilo of the "real thing" thick corn tortillas easily).

I make fresh tacos ( favorites are chicken and fish) the first full day in bkk. amazing how much those little thai stomachs can hold.

also, ever want to see the thai facial expression for "grossed out" take ur thai friend out for mexican food and be sure they get a serving of re-fried beans.

with all the nasty looking lao food I see avalable, I have no idea why the beans are so gross to them.

as for the "worst" mexican food in thailand, I went to a place called "oneman" in karon beach ( phuket) some years ago. none of the food was even close to mexican food ( or even food imho) the chips were cut/fried wan ton wrappers, the salsa was ketsup and onions and fish sauce. the enchalada looked like a deep fried egg roll some one had flattened out. ( even had bean sprouts in it.

maybe we are missing a good business oppurtunity in bkk by not opening a "real" mexican food place.

I think even decent tacos from a street cart would be a winner.

PvtDick said:

quote:

Good Mexican food can hardly be found anywhere outside of Mexico, except perhaps in some places in the US like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California

Actually I know a really good place (Northern Tex-Mex food) for Mexican in Miami. Personally I prefer the Southern Mex a little better.

Borracho13 - I like your name. Does it also represent your state?

TGI Fridays in Ploenchit makes a pretty good serving of fajitas, even though everyone knows that ain't really Mexican.

My boss once took me to a place over on Soi 1 that he claimed was Thai-Mexican. Some of the worst food I'd ever eaten. Unfortunately I can't remember the name.

Archived