'No changes with Thaksin'

limbo

'No changes with Thaksin'

Leading figures fear for future unless Thai Rak Thai rids itself of its leader to open the way for real democracy

Political reform cannot take place if Thaksin Shinawatra returns to power, according to leading politicians, academics and social thinkers.

Those advocating that argument yesterday ranged from politicians like Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to assistant rector of Thammasat University Prinya Thewanaruemitkul.

They were speaking at a Thammasat University symposium on political reform.

"There will be no political reform if Thaksin remains prime minister or returns as prime minister," Prinya said.

"Whatever defects the 1997 constitution has, Thaksin has illuminated them all. The [ruling] Thai Rak Thai party can choose to sacrifice either the party itself or Thaksin.

"The party chief is currently the problem, but if [party members] do nothing, the party will become a problem too," he argued.

Siam University Law Faculty dean Chaet Tonavanik agreed. "I rarely speak about Thaksin because my wish is to see a future premier who's different from the person Thaksin personifies."

"If that person is still around, I don't know when political reform can take off," Thammasat University Political Science faculty dean Nagarin Maektrairat said.

Abhisit blamed the current political crisis squarely upon Thaksin, saying future prime ministers must hold democracy in their hearts.

"I was asked if I were to become prime minister, would I conduct a weekly radio programme like Thaksin. My answer is yes. But, after my programme was over, another would follow it where the opposition leader talked to the people.

"I want people to be able to at least listen to two view points," he said.

Abhisit said a future government - no matter how many votes it controlled in Parliament - should allow no-confidence and censure debates.

He promised to immediately proceed with news-media reform and other urgent changes.

"Whatever can be changed must be changed immediately."

Former prime minister Chuan Leekpai said Thaksin was personally responsible for the current crisis.

Chuan contended the country faced an unprecedented political divide as well as a drastic surge of violence - all due to one man's mismanagement.

"I listened to [Thaksin] when he boasted about the achievements of his administration. But, he never mentions the 2,000 lives lost [in the deep south]."

Respected social thinker Prawase Wasi proposed a 10-point guide for future prime ministers. The points ranged from a need for prime ministers to be ethical, promote press freedom and non-violent solutions and more.

He noted that when running for office five years ago Thaksin pledged to adopt all his recommendations.

The promise was not kept (see related story on page A4).

Others at the event organised by the Thammasat University Sanya Thammasak Centre for Democracy admitted that keeping Thaksin out of Government House was only a beginning for much-needed and comprehensive political reform.

Laws should be passed to limit prime ministers to one four-year term. Members of Parliament should serve no more than two terms or eight years, suggested Anek Laothamatas, the former Mahachon party leader and political scientist.

Economist and founder member of the Civil Society Network to Stop the Thaksin System, Assoc Prof Sangsit Piriyarangsan, said a division between money and politics was needed.

"The Thaksin order sees politicians competing in business ventures against the private sector. It causes corruption of great magnitude and total control [over business and politics]. This is a classic first for the world."

Meanwhile, Prinya urged the public to foster a civic and democratic culture to complement future constitutional amendments. "The two must go hand in hand."

Economic and Social Advisory Council president Gothom Arya said it was wrong for society to deny responsibility for the current political crisis. He urged the private sector to employ good governance and become socially-responsible corporations.

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation 04/09/06

A 10-point plan for next PM

Five years ago renowned social thinker Prawase Wasi made an eight-point recommendation to Thaksin Shinawatra.

Prawase claimed Thaksin agreed to adopt his suggestions for the betterment of society but eventually did nothing. Yesterday, he came up with a new, 10-point recommendation for whoever becomes the next prime minister.

At times, it could read "what Thaksin is not".

1. The next prime minister must possess high ethical standards. "He must also possess good manners and respect for others."

2. Push for political reform, overhaul the bureaucratic system, strengthen local communities and civil society and foster an independent public media. "The challenge is to find ways to stop big money taking over politics. We can't just look at democracy as being about elections.

"Solutions must be found to ensure bureaucrats are dignified and independent. They should not be threatened with removal by politicians on a daily basis."

3. The next prime minister must be sincere and serious about preventing and cracking down on corruption. "One of the best tools [to uncover corruption] is investigative journalism."

4. Support a self-sufficient economy and adopt the Bhutan-style Gross Domestic Happiness (GDH) instead of Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

5. The next prime minister should realise and rescue Thai people's dignity and nurture their potential and happiness, especially among those with little formal education or wealth. Chuan Leekpai's mother brought up the former premier well despite her lack of formal education, said Prawase, adding it was a testimony to people's wisdom that can be learned outside school.

6. The next premier should lift the moral standards of the whole of society and support a culture of volunteerism for the public good.

7. The next premier must solve the violent conflict in the deep South by propagating a non-violent culture. "He or she must speak peacefully and act peacefully, as well as endorse peace at all levels," said Prawase.

8. Legal reform must be carried out to ensure social justice.

9. The next PM must foster Thais' pride and potential at the international level.

10. The next prime minister must quickly strengthen national capability. This includes learning, communications, education and research capacities.

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation 04/09/06

Archived