Potatoes and yoghurts Thailand

I´m preparing a trip to thailand and wonder a bit about the food there.Do U know if it´s easy to get potatoes in restaurants?do they have a lot of german restaurants in Phuket and Pattaya?

do U find sugarless yogurts and dark bread in supermarkets??

Thanks for Ur input

Hi Tom

I can only answer a small portion of your question but here goes. Yes, there are German restaurants in Pattaya. I have eaten in two, the Hopf House and one on South Pattaya Road, on the right about 300 yards from Walking Street. I'm sure there are others and you will see them as you walk around.

In fact in Pattaya I think most nationalities are represented food wise.

Have a great trip!

Plenty of German restaurants in Pattaya and Patong, and there's very good black bread available at the Foodlands outlets in Bangkok, plus some so-so stuff at the Villa Supermarket branches.

Don't be as silly as the German tourist who recently was arrested at Perth airport carrying a few kilos of his favourite German sausages (no food can be brought in on regular Australian passenger flights).

In Bangkok, try the German Brew House on Rama 3, which has very good locally-brewn beer and German food - you can see Thai yuppies enthusiastically tucking into "Schweinshaxen" (pig's trotters). Former Chancellor Helmut Kohl, a pigs' entrails fanatic actually, would be delighted. Jawohl!

I don't think there's much sugar-free yoghurt on sale in Thai supermarkets. For that you'll have to go to Indian restaurants which usually serve excellent home-made yoghurt ("dahi") without any additions.

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

You dont have to worry about getting german food in LOS. In Pattaya you just have to walk down Beachroad or Secondstreet and you will find lots of german restaurants from "Cafe Berlin" till "Schwarzwaldstübchen". In BKK try "Otto" in Soi 20 (500m south of Asoke Skytrainstation). Phuket is so much touristy that you will have no problems too if you want no thaifood. In the big shopping malls like MBK you will find at least one bakery who sells " Schwarzbrot", just look around. But be prepared to pay more because all this is considered as "Specialities". In the normal thai cuisine you will find no potatoes. But really why eat "Kassler" when you get for the same price lobster? crazy.gif" border="0 Anyway have a nice trip.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: mupfel ]

quote:

Originally posted by tom:

do U find sugarless yogurts and dark bread in supermarkets??

Thanks for Ur input

Villa supermarkets have natural yoghurt with no added sugar. Can't remember the brand name but they also sell natural yoghurts with fruit (and one with tomatoes!!) at the bottom of the pot.

This was the Villa on Pahonyotin Soi 8, not sure about other branches.

Roger

You could also try the Paulaner in Patong(Phuket).You can get Gut Bier & Wiener Schnitzel to go with it. They also have rooms to stay in.It is just 30 seconds to the Main Seaface Road in Pating where all the action is.

Archived