Reply to Buddha, about safety

Partyguy

It wont let me reply to your post, it says your topic is too long. So here it goes

All the details of whore mongering preventative measures you mentioned here, are all very good pieces of advice...

<<<< Lets not mince words here if you take a girl back to your room and get taken advantage of - IT IS 100% YOUR FAULT.>>>>

OK, I wont mince words here.... A VICTIM IS A VICTIM IS A VICTIM IS A VICTIM IS A VICTIM IS A VICTIM.......

<<<100% YOUR FAULT>>>>

100% Bullshit IMHO

Lets not mince words here if you take a girl back to your room and get taken advantage of - IT IS 100% YOUR FAULT

I will throw in my two satang because the other thread is getting long and I want to suggest another way to look at this issue.

I think it is helpful to look at this in terms of the real world by looking at what people here actually do in practice. They do take BGs back to their room. They do it all of the time. I am not a big fan of long times (I have been here too long), but plenty here are. Indeed, there have been heated threads here about what to do when a BG agrees on a long time in the bar, but then tries to change the deal into a short time because she needs to visit her sick mom, friend or whatever. How are you going to do a long time without taking the girl back to your room?

Does anyone who parties in Bangkok night life scene really think that any of these safety measures are realistic? We're talking about Thailand here - not Peoria.

I see a theme here that is worth highlighting. Whenever we talk about a nasty incident of violence in Thailand, whether Thailand is relatively violent, some unrealistically restrictive measure the authorities are starting to employ, etc., you will see some members rush to the "defense" arguing that the unpleasant consequences are easily avoided, provided you _______, and then fill in that blank with a list of measures that are totally unrealisitc.

Because I am talking more generally about a theme rather than this particular incident or even violence in Thailand generally (I will come back to this particular issue at the end), let me illustrate with an example that doesn't involve violence but rather unrealistic enforcement measures by the authorities. Recall a few years back when the MiB started raiding places such as Q Bar on a regular basis (I am glad that stopped) and required patrons to produce nothing less than their original passports. You either paid you're way out or you had a pretty miserable night as a guest of the MiB.

Some here seriously argued that you should always carry your original passport with, they did it themselves and there was nothing wrong with requiring everyone to have their original passport on their person at all times. Now to bring this back to the specific point being discussed here, think about how that bit of "pactical advice" squares with the advice that you can avoid having problems by never taking a BG of FL back to your room. If your original passport is on you (rather than safely back in the hotel vault), and you get drugged or mugged in a short time room, you have some serious problems.

This illustrates two problems with those who constantly argue that all of these problems are easily avoided. First, the measures suggested are totally impractical; they don't work for people who go out into Thailand's nightlife. Second, they are full of serious inconsistencies.

I employ all of the measures I suggest....if I am sanuking I usually know who I'm going after in advance, she knows it too, the passport stays home, I'm there with some cash and a rubber....

I've only been here this time around for three months now.....pretty soon the a-team will be lined up and I will no longer do the bar circuit.....

Your posts are always well written, supported well, and make me take pause before I completely disagree with you and smash a beer bottle over my head. We just have a different opinion gadfly.....

Isn't life full of serious inconsistencies.

Archived