Where to get low fat food in Pattaya?

Hello guys,

I just arrived in Pattaya yesterday. I've been doing an asia tour and the fatty chinese food I've been eating in China has put some pounds on me.

I bought me a one month gym membership at Universe Gym. Plan to do some cardio and weights to lean up. But I need to also go on a low fat diet. Where can I find low fat food?

The aussie who works at Universe Gym said to go to Foodland. Buy some chicken breast and pay Foodland 50baht to grill it. I forgot to ask him if that would include any rice and veggies.

Anyone else out there know where to go for low fat food?

I just loaded up at Tops w/a lot of low fat sandwiches/cereals/juices/yogurts. I cannot do any cooking of my own, since I am checked into the Flipper Lodge Hotel.

Thanx again,

~Fat Tek smile.gif" border="0

Hello Tek.

The suki places in Royal Garden Plaza serve nice broths into which you add seafood and vegetables of your choice. It is pretty good, pretty affordable and pretty healthy eating. As you search for low fat foods, think twice before going the "salad route." Unless, you don't mind the shits from time to time. shocked.gif" border="0

A few places you might try at Big C. MK sukiyaki is very tasty and very low fat. A some japanese restaurants (lean fish, noodle soups, etc.) and a place where you do your own grilling (shabu-shabu?).

Lots of issan foods (sticky rice, som tam, steamed veggies, jim joom, grilled fish) are low fat if you have a taste for it. A decent issarn resaurant at the food court at royal garden, and many good ones in pattaya.

And of course there is always sea food, which there is plenty of in pattaya, though most restaurants on walking street seem absurdly expensice to me. I've really gotten to like squid, which is about as low fat as it gets.

I try keep the fat down too, and one of the main way I do this is by eating a lot of the deliscious fruits available. And not eating much deep fried and pan fried (they start with a nice helping of oil) thai food.

If you want to stick to Farang food I think your restaurant choice will be pretty limited, or you'll be stuck with inconviences like buying food they having someone prepare it for you.

(Unless you want to sneak your own little kitchen into the flipper, which you could do for about 1000B including 1 burner. Maid might need to be bought off though to keep her from squeeling...)

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: worldwalker ]

vtombrown, worldwalker,

As always, thanx for the prompt responses.

Went into Lotus Supermarket the other day and picked myself up a griller for 990 baht. Have yet to try cooking with it in my rm. Good advice, worldwalker, I'll have to bribe my maid off just to be safe. The things a guys gotta do just to eat healthy around here! smile.gif" border="0

Before the griller, I was stopping into Foodland and buying chicken breasts. Than paying them to grill it for me for $50baht, another $65 baht for steamed vegetables and another $10 baht for rice. Gets mighty expensive having them cook it plus the cost of the ride there and back. Hope the griller works cause this is cutting way too much into my sanuk account! wink.gif" border="0

Worldwalker, where is the Big C u refer to?

I would like to check out the place where u do your own grilling. Is the name of the restaurant Shabu Shabu? Is this close to Flipper Lodge on soi 8?

~Tek laugh.gif" border="0

vtombrown, worldwalker,

As always, thanx for the prompt responses.

Went into Lotus Supermarket the other day and picked myself up a griller for 990 baht. Have yet to try cooking with it in my rm. Good advice, worldwalker, I'll have to bribe my maid off just to be safe. The things a guys gotta do just to eat healthy around here! smile.gif" border="0

Before the griller, I was stopping into Foodland and buying chicken breasts. Than paying them to grill it for me for $50baht, another $65 baht for steamed vegetables and another $10 baht for rice. Gets mighty expensive having them cook it plus the cost of the ride there and back. Hope the griller works cause this is cutting way too much into my sanuk account! wink.gif" border="0

I would like to check out the place where u do your own grilling. Is the name of the restaurant Shabu Shabu? Is this close to Flipper Lodge on soi 8?

~Tek laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by tek:

It's in north pattaya on second road maybe 1km north of center road. Assuming you don't have a motorbike you can just walk to second rd. & get a songtaew there and back.

I don't know the name of the restaurant - I was thinking the kind of food they have is called shabu-shabu, but not sure. right near MK.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

And about as high colestorol as you can get too...

True, but it's not really dietary cholesterol that kicks up blood cholesterol. Satuated fats and transfatty acids are the ones to worry about.

I eat korean a lot and some of the food is low fat. All the appetizers they give you at first are usually hot spicy pickled vegetables and some types of kimchi dishes I would think are low fat. I would expect about 1/4th of Korean food served in Korean restraunts would fit under the classification of a low fat meal.

Why go to Foodland for grilled chicken,rice and steamed vegetables.

You can get all that from almost any thai restaurant for 60 Thb. You can really buy your food also somewhere else than supermarket. Was this thread some kind of silly joke. crazy.gif" border="0

It's difficult for me to understand that someone has problems with food in Thailand.

Easiest thing in Thailand is to find food, low fat food. smile.gif" border="0

Archived