Peter Withe

Hello, I'm a lurker round here, English but currently working in Bahrain, Middle East. The other day the Bahrain national team took on Thailand in a World Cup qualifier, and apparently Peter Withe, the ex-Notts Forest player, is Thailand's manager. I was just wondering if any of you guys know him, or have seen him out sanuking in Bangkok or Pattaya? I've heard that there are a few celebs to be found there from time to time, like Jimmy White the snooker player (also in Bahrain at the moment funnily enough)....anyone got any stories about well-known people on the town?

Myself, I'v visited Pattaya once, last summer for about a week, and to tell you the truth it was a bit of a missed opportunity. It was so completely different to anything else I'd ever encountered that, being a naturally reserved guy, I didn't really get out and take full advantage of all the sanuk. Hopefully next time I get out there I'll be more preared for what'll hit me! Did anyone else find that the first time they were too shy/terrified to really get stuck in?

There are a LOT of previous posts about famous people who have visited Thailand but you'll have to search for them. Don't remember any of them mentioning Peter Withe though there are a few other football players mentioned.

Peter Withe lives in Bangkok with his (English) wife and family.

He may go out at night, but not to the places so beloved on this board.

I've come across him a couple of times, nice guy for a scouser!

quote:

Posted by Ashman

Best chips in town.

I don't think so anymore Ash. I had a sausage and chips from there the other night and it was like eating raw spud.

The Huntsman does good chips if you can put up with

a) beer at 100 baht a can

B) surly staff

c) a big screen TV showing college basketball

d) lack of atmosphere

I've seen Peter Withe out and about in Bangkok 3 times.

Once he was in McDonalds wiping ice cream off his son's chin

Another time he was in the Central Chidlom Bedding department choosing some blankets with his wife.

And I'm struggling to recall the third one but it might have been on the big black sofa in the Casanova bar.

l used to work in a place were Peter used to come in very often, he was very polite and friendly and his wife is the same.

l dont think he is a big fan of the sanuk venues, seems to be very dedicated to his job, also his son coaches one of the local thai sides here, now this guy does play up a bit, likes a blue every now and then, has this has gotten him into a bit of trouble at times, lucky his last name is Withe.

Cheers

Shamus

Chris - re the last part of your post - I feel better now - I thought I was the only one ever who didn't make the most of a golden opportunity - I was more overwhelmed than anything else - next time (January) I will be making up for lost time.

Planet

Cheers for the info....I actually saw Ptere Withe's interview after the game - he seems like a decent bloke and I hope he gets Thailand through. They got hammered 4-0 by Iraq in their first game, but since then they've outplayed Bahrain and Iran but only managed 2 draws - we'll see. BTW about football players, I remember Arsenal did a pre-season tour of Thailand a while back and actually lost to a Thai team.....I think I can guess the reason for their sluggish performance!

Hey Planetwave - yeah, overwhelmed is the right word to describe it for me too....I mean, walking into the go-go's with the pumping music and hot chicks in bikinis left, right and centre, knowing that you could have pretty much any one you wanted, was just too much for my western, supressed-male mind to handle! I got off with a couple, but looking back I didn't do half as much exploring and experimenting as I should have. Anyhow, there'll definitely be a next time, no doubt about it!

Archived