Your favorite thai food....?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by augustart:

WildA,

I enjoyed C&C too. Food was quite good.

Did you buy anything from their souveneir shop? I bought one of those ties that has images of condoms with faces dancing around on the tie. I wear it to work/school sometimes. I always get a few people who give my tie a double take when they first see it.

augustart

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: augustart ]

Augie..the nly souveniers I bought in LOS were beer Tshirts, CDs and whiskey LOL

Kuaytiaw nam, strange no one seems to be in for this kind of soups, i can not go around without my daily kuaytiaw nam.

Som Tam with kao niaw, tom kha kai, yam wun sen, kaeng pet kai/neua, puu neung, kung phao khra tiam, phat pak ruam, phak bung fai daeng.

What about fruit? I was in Prachuap where they sold cleaned and chopped saparod, 15 baht for TWO! Ware unwilling to sell just one.

This probably ain't the appropriate thread for this question, but I'm going to ask--

Where are the good restaraunts for these Thai foods, in the NEP area? I've had a lot of decent foreign food along Sukhumvit, but I'm often disappointed by the Thai food. C&C was decent, as was Lemongrass. Any other comparable or superior recommendations? I often end up at $$$ Baan Kanitha for a sure-thing, even if it's not entirely authentic.

Much Thanks laugh.gif" border="0

anything but the grasshoppers. my TGF bought some at that stall near sukhumvit/soi nana corner. truly bad.

do yourself a favour and get to that open restaurant just a couple of doors down from the thermae, on the corner. can't remember the name but i think it starts with Y.

order the chicken ginger. superb.

Oh.....where to start?

Well there's.....

Gai Hor Bai Toey (marinated chicken cubes in pandanus leaves)

Geang Massaman (rich southern style curry with potatoes, peanuts and lots of coconut cream)

Hoy Lai Phat Phet (spicy shellfish curry made with Prik Thai - green peppercorns)

Somtam, Gai Yang and Khao Neeow and LOTS of Beer Chang (my personal favourite!)

Pad Pak Bung Fai Daeng (leafy veg in oyster sauce with chillies)

Sai Krawk Isaan (sour sausage served with chillies and ginger)

Geang Kaew Wan Gai (sweet green curry with chicken)

Moo Manao (barbecued pork in a fiery chilli and lemon juice sauce and served with crunchy veggies on ice - great with a few ice cold Beer Changs)

Penang Gai (another rich and creamy curry - a bit like Massaman but without the potatoes and with much more of a chilli kick)

Yam Plaa Duk Foo (flaked and deep fried crispy catfish served with a sweet and hot mango salad)

Yam Khor Moo Yang (spicy thai salad with barbecued neck of pork - delicious but better when Som Oh (pomelo) is included in the salad)

Plaa Gow Samrot (not sure what kind of fish but it's served whole smothered in a delicious hot and sweet sauce.

Khao Moo Daeng (cuts of pork on rice smothered in a rich bbq style sauce - great street food)

For dessert you can't beat Khao Neeow Mamuang (sweet mango with sticky rice and coconut cream) but the sweet mango only has a short season so not always easy to get.

Oh yes...... I almost forgot.....

I enjoy the occasinal furburger too

laugh.gif" border="0

Now.....who's taking me out to dinner?

Arai Wa!

Out of all Thai food, I must admit that I love that rare Thai dish "Chez Bur Gur" which is basically two pieces of some sort of processed wheat product (very similar to bread)with a generous portion of ground meat between them. It is topped off with some sort of yellow or orange dairy by-product.

There is a whole host of Thai condiments you can add to this dish, however my favorites are "Tom Ato Kat Sup" (some sort of tomato extract) and "May Ion Ase" (I believe this one is made with eggs!).

Although it is hard to find it done right in Bangkok, I have had this dish at Woodstock in NEP on occasion, where it was very good!

-=/NN

Seeker,

My gf had me taste something, I forgot the circumstances. Looked to be some dark paste (did not have the time really, she just put it into my mouth, must happen to many of us, being fed by tg). Tasted like dried mud, beurk! When I asked was told "young butterfly" Wondering how "old butterly" must taste.

Anyone got other strang food?

mad.gif" border="0

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

Archived