Weg: Film about Thai expats

Goodthaigirl

I was browing the web and found this interesting film !

Weg

It is part of the 4th Bangkok World Film festival 2006

director/producer:Wolfgang Bellwinkel

year : 2005

Show Time

Date Time Venue

13 October 2006 14:00 pm Grand EGV Siam Discovery 3

Synopsis

This documentary film by German photographer and film-maker Wolfgang Bellwinkel, protrays three foreigners whose home has become Bangkok - either through circumstance or choice.

We meet ex-junkie Chris, an American walking the edge between survival and recovery; English teacher Alex who has transformed the exotic into the ordinary, and underground photographer Nick who is fascinated by Bangkok's nightworld of crime and passion.

The film probes the central question: "Is home a physical reality or simply a state of mind

The name "Nick" the photographer reminds me of the NICK NOSTITZ interviewed by Stickman in 2001. Maybe this film used his charactor?

Nick interview

Anyway, I'll be one of the viewers for sure. See you there !

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the film 'Weg' yesterday at the Siam Discovery Center as part of the Film Festival.

Very interesting documentary filmed about 2 years ago focusing on 3 expats who have been living in Bangkok for a long time:

A German teaching English who is married and seems to have settled into a comfortable routine and life in Bangkok.

A former heroin addict American who has at times been homeless and begging for money in Bangkok, but currently is working and living in an apartment. I've never met him but am sure I have seen him eating at a food cart around Phrakanong.

You are correct about the 3rd subject, a German national who has worked extensively as a photographer and volunteers for a Thai emergency rescue operation. I thought he was depicted much more positively than the American.

He also speaks Thai fluently, and talks about seeking the 'dark side' of life in Asia in his photography work. Anyone who has his photographic book would probably agree.

Interesting background about the photographer is that he formerly lived in a house on the canal, owned his own motorboat, and frequently drove it around the Bangkok canals. Certainly a way to catch interesting lifestyles in Bangkok.

I thought this was a very interesting documentary, and would love to have a DVD if they ever published one.

There were not a lot of people at the movie. It's a pity because it is an interesting documentary. And we had a very lively discussion at the end of the movie with the director and the American was there too ! If I'm not mistaken I was 'Nick' too.

Can't help cracking up when the American made a comment about Farang pussy and Thai pussy.

I wonder if the girls in Nick's picture was informed that their pics would be shown in a big screen to all the people like this ?

I wonder what the reactions would be when it was screened elsewhere other than Thailand.

Archived