Keystroke Logger Caution

FreeTime

For anyone who uses internet cafe access in Thailand and particularly in Bangkok, there is an interesting reference to possible keystroke loggers being used on public machines. The short article, 'A reminder about keystroke loggers' can be viewed at StickmanBangkok weekly, September 24th edition. Anyone who uses or has used public internet access to view private accounts, especially internet brokerage accounts, from lower Sukhumvit and a particularly well known Soi there, should take a look. I was last in Bangkok in March. In August I had some accounts accessed while back in Canada. Mine was a happy ending but others have not been so lucky. If you happen to have had accounts tampered with, or know of anyone who has, I would appreciate hearing about it. Because I was last in Thailand in March and my accounts were not tampered with till August, I thought the two were unrelated, but the above noted article seemed to establish a possible link. Public internet access carries additional risk, but if that risk level includes active keystroke loggers on some machines, just the most mundane internet activity should be undertaken unless one is certain about shop owner honesty. Anything you accessed via passwords could be open, right down to your email account, though typically money is the primary objective.

Had the same thing happen to me too. Luckily my broker called me on the day my stock was sold and ssked if I had sold stock that day. Was able ro reverse the sale and get a new user name and password assigned to my account, however, now can only sell stock by calling broker and giving a pre arranged password.

Archived