How to invest $500,000

Cyberoy69

For anyone who thinks 6.6% is a good return, you seem to have no idea about money or wealth creation. The cash rate sits at 6%, so basically your 0.6% more which is peanuts.

Jai-Dee has shared some good advice.

With alittle research via the internet you could structure a portfolio of investments with a variety of diversification, that could easily yield 12% plus, and i do mean easily.

Nothing wrong with alittle portion in the bank, as one must always have some in any circumstance.

20 % is more than enough, the rest should be invested in a variety of fund, and if you have alittle stockmarket knowledge, trade/invest a portion yourself.

I have been able to achieve over 20% return over the past 5 year, and yes there is alway some cash in the bank.

Investing is challenging yet can be fun and a sense of achievement apart from the obvious.

Wealth creation is not leaving your money parked in the bank. Take control, don't settle for mediocre returns.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For anyone who thinks 6.6% is a good return, you seem to have no idea about money or wealth creation. The cash rate sits at 6%, so basically your 0.6% more which is peanuts.

Jai-Dee has shared some good advice.

With alittle research via the internet you could structure a portfolio of investments with a variety of diversification, that could easily yield 12% plus, and i do mean easily.

Nothing wrong with alittle portion in the bank, as one must always have some in any circumstance.

20 % is more than enough, the rest should be invested in a variety of fund, and if you have alittle stockmarket knowledge, trade/invest a portion yourself.

I have been able to achieve over 20% return over the past 5 year, and yes there is alway some cash in the bank.

Investing is challenging yet can be fun and a sense of achievement apart from the obvious.

Wealth creation is not leaving your money parked in the bank. Take control, don't settle for mediocre returns.

I do stocks everyday and it is a lot of work to make decent $$$. This has been a good year, +25%, so far, but 4 hours a day doing news/research and then 6 hours a day doing the trades. I am quite conservative, so I take the time but so far, am +. To say, "...do stocks...", does not tell the whole story....doing stocks as I type.

No doubt it takes time and effort if you do it yourself, and it should be enjoyable to do (to an extent). However, there are also many funds with impeciable track records who would do all the hard work for you, for a small fee (between 1 - 2 %), that are capable of achieving fantastic returns, should you have no time or the experience to do it yourself.

Personally I am comfortable doing it myself, although I do have some funds with a highly respected & recommended finacial management company.

What stock Xchange do you tradeon Cava ???

Interesting thread... I'm not investing in stocks and all of my money is busy elsewhere but it may well change for part of it. You guys claim it's "easy" to go over 10% yearly returns, and some managed funds are very reliable.

My stock education is about as poor as a couple of books, the most memorable one explaining how managers don't beat the indexes over time.What's your take on it?

which funds you'd most confidently trade with? preferably out of a tax haven?

PS: I don't have much time if any available to invest in stock trading, looking for reliable managers here, or just index funds.

kojis69,

Index are a good alternative for getting into the stock market. Unfortunately for the mangers/advisers, the facts suggest they aren't likely to succeed. Between 70 percent and 80 percent of actively managed funds fail to beat their indexes, and those that do aren't consistent winners. Only one fund out of more than 8,000 funds has beaten its market index every year for the past decade -- Bill Miller of Legg Mason Value besting the S&P 500.

On the other hand, the expense ratio is a valid predictor of future performance. A study conducted by Boston-based Financial Research Corporation a few years ago concluded that lower operating expenses "deliver above-average performance across all time periods," while all other factors, including star ratings, had little or no predictive value.

-OT

Go and get financial advice from a few different reliable accredited financial planners.

If you are Australian you should take a good hard look at the new super laws.

You can have a nice tax free income stream via these new laws. you have to be 55 before you can withdraw but maybe you would be better off going this route. Very young to retire and 500k ain't going to be alot in 15 years time if you leave it in the bank and a miserly 6 or 7 percent.

• 1 month later...

Back to that thread :

We had a quick check on HSBC listing of funds they were selling and out of their HKG system, they offer only 4 funds, none a perfect index tracking it seems.

Hence a couple of questions:

where should we look for more information about index funds, considering money would be invested out of HKG ? is HSBC a reliable agent for this kind of operations ? and lastly, are there any tax issues to fear for stock exchange income realised by an HKG company ?

Thanks for any help, including directing inquiring minds to adequate forums and litterature.

Cheers

Kojis

BTW, here are what HSBC offers when one looks for index funds:

Altus Trust: Alpha Equity Fund - Hang Seng Index

Risk Rating As at Date Currency Offer Price Bid/NAV Since launch (%) 6 months (%) 1 Year (%) 3 Year (%) 5 Year (%)

3 11/20 HKD - 14.3100 +34.50 +14.66 +19.34 - -

Benchmark: Hang Seng Index +29.44 +10.94 +14.87 - -

Fidelity EURO STOXX 50TM Fund

(Class A) Risk Rating As at Date Currency Offer Price Bid/NAV Since launch (%) 6 months (%) 1 Year (%) 3 Year (%) 5 Year (%)

3 11/27 EUR - 11.8300 +54.10 +10.50 +23.70 +82.80 +54.90

Benchmark: Dow Jones EURO STOXX 50SM Index +62.20 +10.60 +24.40 +86.50 +60.40

Fidelity EURO STOXX 50TM Fund (Class B)

Risk Rating As at Date Currency Offer Price Bid/NAV Since launch (%) 6 months (%) 1 Year (%) 3 Year (%) 5 Year (%)

3 11/27 USD - 29.7600 +41.91 +9.80 +22.00 +77.50 +48.30

Benchmark: Dow Jones EURO STOXX 50SM Index +53.90 +10.60 +24.40 +86.50 +60.40

Lyxor Alpha Equity Fund - Nikkei 225

Risk Rating As at Date Currency Offer Price Bid/NAV Since launch (%) 6 months (%) 1 Year (%) 3 Year (%)

With 500K USD$, You should buy a go go bar in Bangkok or Pattaya. Staff it up with all of the cuties you like as you may 'interview' them yourself, being the landlord.

While you may not get wealthy quickly, you will have quite a bit of fun. :smirk:

Cheers. :)

Bar none, this is the worst advice yet offered.

Archived