Is the ICE Safe in Mixed drinks??

Say...here is a question,if anyone knows...I've been wondering if its OK to drink the mixed drinks(heard Mekong and Coke is great)in the Go-Go bars with ICE in them...does anyone know if they use clean water for the ice??

Thanks,Ricoman crazy.gif" border="0

Ice is supposedly made from the same water as bottled drinking water.

Personally I've never had a problem that could be associated with ice or drinking water.

You can get pretty sick from bad water and therefore bad ice. If it's not too late, get a hepatitis A shot and typhoid tablets before you go. At least that rules out two of the more more serious bad water related diseases. Having said that, worst I've ever had is a mild case of the runs, and I've eaten from street vendors, drunk ice drinks in plenty of bars.

quote:

Originally posted by ricoman1:

Say...here is a question,if anyone knows...I've been wondering if its OK to drink the mixed drinks(heard Mekong and Coke is great)in the Go-Go bars with ICE in them...does anyone know if they use clean water for the ice??

Thanks,Ricoman
crazy.gif" border="0

Hi, Rico.

Lemme give you some advice I picked up in a travel book and has served both my wife and I well in our travels.

If the ice is a symmetrical shape and has an indentation or hole through the middle it came from an ice machine and 99 times out of 100 it was made with distilled water. Drink up, seldom will you have a problem. If it is not symmetrical, ie is chipped off an ice block BEWARE. Block ice in many parts of the world is NOT made with distilled water and may very well have been chipped using unsanitary methods. I've seen, both in LOS and Hong Kong, some guy behind a restaurant chipping ice onto the ground, then gathering it up, presumably to use inside. shocked.gif" border="0

As I said, this rule of thumb has helped us in LOS, HK, Mexico, Europe (damnbritish don't know the meaning of the word "ice" laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0 )

My other solution is to drink only beer out of the bottle. That's the safest!!

Have fun...

PhordPhan

Phoremost authority in Phrozen liquids

crazy.gif" border="0

• 4 months later...

I have some horrific experiences with bad ice where one stopped me from going to HK, had to stay an extra night in BKK...(no sanuking, sitting on the crapper doing the deed or throwing up)

I finally figured the reason I was getting sick was from the ice in slurpies from 7/11....Finish the slurpy and there is still some at the bottom to finish or drink the melted ice...big mistake, something I never do anymore...I only have ice with a hole in the middle as well.

Sanukboot

frown.gif" border="0 Hey SanukBoot,Sorry to hear about that.Can really ruin a trip.

I just got back from 28 days there and thank god,didnt get sick even one day...and did eat from the street vendors. laugh.gif" border="0 But I didnt have any Slurpees.!!Did have the soup from the street vendors,and after eating thought for sure that it would do me in...but I was fine and the soup was great...Some of the bars used crushed ice,which I didnt eat...but was worried...guess I'm luckey

I did get Hepatitis A and B shots before I went,so maybe that helped...

Later,Ricoman1

I don't think its the ice that is the problem, its the cross comtamination thats going to get you.

I notice lots of evidence on this:

rinsing glasses in a sink full of water that hands ( fresh from the toilet) are dipped in.

the bucket/bin of ice that holds beers, water bottles, ect. ( dipped in with the hands that have been who knows where) the same bin that the ice for drinks is taken from.

( was that a bit of lable from a beer floating in my drink?)

hopefully, we just get small doses of "whatever" at a time, and our bodies build up resistance to it.

Archived