Soap Wanted

adawes

When I first started visiting Bangkok, about 30 years ago, I was a regular customer of Darling Massage. They used a liquid soap that I've never been able to forget, other than its name.

It was in a tall rectangular plastic bottle -- white with the name, in Thai, in blue. Boy, I loved that stuff, and would usually buy a bottle or two to take home.

But, over the past few (many, actually) years, I've been unable to find it. My guess is that somebody important found out I liked it, and that's usually the kiss of death for any product. I've checked out every soap in every store that I've been to in Bangkok, with no luck. I guess it's gone the way of Ipana (Bucky Beaver), Wildroot Cream Oil, and all my other old favorites.

Not one single person I've ever asked in Bangkok even knows what I'm talking about. Yet, back then, it was possibly the most popular liquid soap in every supermarket, and was as common as Darkie Toothpaste.

Sure, I could probably go back to Darling and ask, but that seems unlikely, given my history there.

Archived