sim card at the new airport

liquidflux

Two questions really....

1) Are there any shops in the new airport where I can get a sim with a new number? (not a top-up card)

2) Do either AIS or DTAC allow a GPRS connection with pre-paid? I'd like to use it to connect to my laptop. Tried taking a look on their websites but got nowhere.

I got prepaid DTAC to work with GPRS on my cell phone last week, but the result was all in Thai, and I didn't really need it anyhow. Setting up GPRS for my phone via the DTAC web site worked with no trouble -- the only thing to remember is the PIN or password (1800, I think, but they tell you ahead of time). You need the PIN when you get the setup message on your phone.

While I don't know about using a laptop via GPRS, I was once able to use my laptop via the modem in my cell phone, in Bangkok, though this is restricted to 9600 baud. This was a voice call, and not GPRS. At least it worked, whereas using the modem in my laptop and dialing out through the hotel switchboard was excellent in one room, and impossible in another. I use Earthlink DSL at home. They have a local number in Bangkok, and I get a certain number of free dial-in hours as part of the deal. So, there's no need for me to buy local internet cards. With 9600 it's imperative to opt out of displaying graphics.

On my past few trips I've only brought with my wireless Dell Axim pocket PC (PPC). There are plenty of free hotspots all over Bangkok, so it's easy to check email (compose it on the PPC, then send it later at a hotspot). But, I might go back to the laptop next trip anyhow.

DTAC (Happy Dprompt) used to have English as an option for setting up a new prepaid account. But that changed this past trip. It turned out to not be that big of a deal.

And nobody knows whether the extra 8 is required for sms, international sms, local calls, calls between companies, and so on. My buddy in the USA, who sent me some text messages, on my cell phone, found that only not using the 8 worked.

Personally, while there might be shops at the airport that have sim cards, I'd just as soon get out of there ASAP and on to the hotel. You can't swing a dead cat in Bangkok without hitting a 7-11 or FamilyMart, and I need to stock up on snacks and drinks as soon as I check into the hotel, so getting a SIM card is just part of the routine.

There are a couple of posts about using GPRS and EDGE with DTAC or AIS recently in the technology section and it might be worth looking them up.

Basically, both companies allow prepaid to use GPRS (or EDGE where available). You have to sign up for it though either over the phone or at one of the DTAC or Telewiz shops. AIS has cheaper monthly plans that prepaid users can sign up for. For example I have a 200 hour per month plan with AIS that costs 500 baht per month plus 35 baht VAT. Just before the end of my monthly cycle, I have to make sure I have at least 535 baht credit on my sim before they automatically charge me for the next month. You can cancel the plan at any time (or just not recharge the sim when you leave).

If you buy a special AIS sim called a 1-2 Call "net sim" you get 40 hours GPRS access free every month, however, the telephone rate sucks (5 baht per minute) so I don't recommend the net sim, unless you are going to use that sim ONLY for GPRS or EDGE access which is what I do, so I actually get 240 hours access per month for my 535 baht. I use a DTAC sim with a great rate for regular telephone calls.

I believe AIS just changed their rates for GPRS access so the plan I have may no longer be available at the price I indicated above.

DTAC is supposed to have a better GPRS/EDGE network with faster data speeds than AIS (they supposedly have EDGE working well in BKK and Pattaya) but it is more expensive than AIS.

Anyway, the mostly GPRS speed connection I get in Central Pattaya with AIS isn't that bad. It's roughly equivalent to landline dial up in the US, i.e., it's much better than dial up in Thailand. Using a GPRS/EDGE capable cell phone with Bluetooth or a USB data cable and my phone's PC software, I easily connect my laptop to the AIS network. If I keep the phone connected to a charger, I can maintain the connection for hours at a time with no problems. In other words it's pretty stable. It's really nice to be able to get internet access on my laptop in my condo or wherever I may travel in Thailand.

Of course, if I was staying in one place longer, I would get landline ADSL hooked up but it's not worth it for me when I just rent a place for a couple of months at a time.

HN,

Do you happen to remember the general area of the shops? This will be my first time coming through the new airport, so everything will be unfamiliar.

mangatu,

Glad to hear the GPRS will work. I'll be needing to make a few bank transfers and pay some bills online and don't feel comfortable using a net shop for that kind of stuff. Appreciate the information and will search for the other posts.

Archived