Aussie Rules 1st Muslim player.

Julian2

Faith drives Muslim footballer

November 26, 2006 12:00am

Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

THE AFL's first devout Muslim footballer will tell his Essendon teammates he prays five times a day, hates a beer and steers clear of nightclubs.

Bachar Houli joined the Dons yesterday as the No.42 pick in the AFL's National Draft.

Believed to be Islam's first AFL representative, Houli said he aimed to be a role model for young Muslims and help bridge Australia's cultural divide.

In other AFL draft highlights, Carlton took teenage South Australian midfielder Bryce Gibbs with its No.1 selection.

Essendon claimed West Australian key position player Scott Gumbleton with the second pick and the Kangaroos chose Gippsland defender Lachlan Hansen at three.

Andrejs Everitt, brother of Sydney ruckman Peter, was picked up by the Bulldogs at 11; Nick Riewoldt's cousin, Jack, was drafted at 13 by Richmond and Alwyn Davey, brother of Melbourne's Aaron, was picked up by Essendon at 36.

Sam Sheldon, son of Blues premiership player Ken, was drafted by Brisbane at 70.

Ballarat twins Nathan and Mitchell Brown have been separated by the draft -- Nathan going to Collingwood (pick 10) and Mitchell (pick 16) to West Coast.

Houli, 18, plans to observe religous fasts when it does not conflict with game day and to work at his parents' Werribee fish and chip shop as often as he can.

His parents migrated from Lebanon 30 years ago.

But the Tarneit teenager said public focus on his religion would not stop him achieving on the football field.

"I'm not only devoted to my religion, I want to succeed at the highest level in footy," Houli said.

He admitted he led a remarkably different lifestyle to that of most AFL footballers, but said his religion was an advantage.

"It is good for me, it gives me discipline as a person," he said.

"I pray fives times a day . . . I can't go out in the nightlife and have a drink and become uncontrollable."

The teenager plans to explain his beliefs to his teammates.

"I will make people aware that I can't drink alcohol or can't do (some of the) things they can do," he said.

"Surely I will have the respect that everyone deserves."

The talented midfielder was snapped up by Essendon as a result of strong performances at the National Draft camp last month.

Houli fasted during sunlight hours for two weeks before the camp for Islam's holy month of Ramadan.

He broke the fast, with the permission of Muslim leaders, only 24 hours before gruelling fitness tests.

"I spoke to them and they gave me the all clear," Houli said.

The teenager said he would continue to consult Muslim leaders over any conflicts between his faith and football.

The young left-footer began playing football at Spotswood Under 12s without telling his parents. He said his parents did not understand Australian football at the time.

He confessed he was playing the sport when he brought home a bagful of trophies and received his parents' blessing.

Houli said being drafted was a personal goal, but he hoped it would inspire other Australian Muslims to reach for their dreams.

"It is huge for me," he said. "It also opens up the way for other Muslims around the community to know they can make the highest level."

Editorial: AFL scores a goal

FOOTBALL is a great melting pot in which a common goal unites players and fans of different racial, religious and economic backgrounds.

Its inclusiveness was on display again yesterday when teenage draftee Bachar Houli (above) became the AFL's first player of the Muslim faith.

Good for him. Because it is good for all when differences are outplayed by harmony.

Archived