Taksin's plan to boost tourism

Originally posted by rictic:

"Mr Taksin was reported as having said ... The Chinese community in Yaworat (China Town)

should promote Yaworat as a world class China Town. By doing so it will help bring tourists to Thailand. They should promote the delicious chinese food that is part of their culture ...."

First, they should get rid of that absolutely atrocious traffic there (and the ensuing air pollution) and make the side-walks walkable. Chinatown is a night-mare and I dread every time I have to go there (sometimes I do because they have the cheapest places to develop slides there, and very good too).

I once took a German camera team to Chinatown; their assignment had nothing to do with the area, they just wanted to see it. After a walk of 15 minutes along Yaowarat Road they implored me to never take them to a hell-hole like that again!

As a tourist attraction, Chinatown is a joke. Here we have just another pointer that Thaksin is absolutely clueless. I'm eagerly awaiting the next moronic statement from the man. Since Thaksin has come to power, the daily newspaper read has once again become a great big belly-laugh.

And as for the food: Can you imagine the amount of pollution from the car exhaust (mercury, lead etc.) settling on the open dishes? Bon appetit!

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

On my first trip tp LOS , I talked my BG chum into going with me down to Chinatown , we wandered those tiny death trap alleys for about 30 minutes before she freaked out on me! Said she was feeling sick , & I knew what she meant , the smells , clostraphobia , motorbikes flying down tiny lanes , all too much for her it was .

Glad I had a look though . Won't go back in a hurry , best thing was the taxi ride home.

I love yaowarat. I love the stink of it. I love the busyness of it. I love the prices. There is no better place to get decent prices on first asking than Yaowarat. I think the colour of the place makes it sizzle. But I also agree with every word posted above. Thaksin is clearly mad. There's no way you can sell Yaowarat as a tourist destination without completely fucking up everything that is great about it.

I always try to get to Yaowarat within a day of arriving in Bangkok. I'm happy that there are still relatively few tourists going there. I'll be honest Thaksin driving away tourists does have some benefits to the people who love Thailand no matter what. Compare Yaowarat by day to Sukhumvit by day and I know which I prefer. Yaowarat by night gets pretty weird but I still love it. Finding a square way off the main road, all ramshackle housing and Kuan Yin shrines, where a great big screen has been set up showing Chinese Ghost Story to enrapt kids.

And without pollution Bangkok just wouldn't be Bangkok.

I was listening to Radio Thailand last night and Mr Taksin was reported as having said this in Yaworat yesterday. I don't have the exact phrases but this is the gist of what was said.

The Chinese community in Yaworat (China Town)

should promote Yaworat as a world class China Town. By doing so it will help bring tourists to Thailand. They should promote the delicious chinese food that is part of their culture and by doing so many tourist will come to thailand to sample chinese food in Yaworat.

mmmmmm... Yummy I can't wait to get to Yaworat.

Archived