Golf in Phuket

SpiceMan

I've played 400 courses around the world including most of the top courses in Asia, the US and Scotland, and can highly recommend Phuket for golfers. In fact, if I could only live and golf in one place the rest of my life, Phuket would probably be my top choice.

My top choices are Loch Palm and Blue Canyon Lakes Course. Mission Hills and Blue Canyon Canyon Course are also excellent, though overpriced. Phuket Country Club and Laguna are both fine courses too. Thai Muang is a bit of a drive north off the island and a decent layout, though conditions were poor when I played there last 2 years ago.

(for reference purposes, I used to be a 7 handicap, but other priorities have limited my golf time the past few years and I'm now up to, I hate to admit, a 14)

I've played 400 courses around the world including most of the top courses in Asia, the US and Scotland, and can highly recommend Phuket for golfers. In fact, if I could only live and golf in one place the rest of my life, Phuket would probably be my top choice.

Perhaps the best course I've ever played in my life was Muirfield, in Scotland.

But, all things considered, I'd rather move to Phuket. I might not even bring my clubs. ;)

Weekends in particular can be busy, though since you will be there during peak season probably any day can be busy. If busy, the course will pair you with other players and probably won't accept a tee time for a single. Its best to call ahead and ask. If they have a tournament or a large group of Korean or Japanese playing, it might be difficult for you to get on. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem (just be patient, they might tell you it will be an hour or more, then suddenly they have a no-show and off you go).

Also, don't be surprised to see groups of 5 players (or even 6 sometimes). Its shocking coming from the US or Europe, though not so rare in Asia. They probably won't pair you into a 5-some, but its not rare to see 5 Thai golfers playing together. Generally the caddies keep things moving along, and even when busy most courses move faster than a typical US muni on a busy day.

If you want to go to a range, Phuket Country Club has a decent one. Its a public range across the street from the PCC main club, and has its own separate check-in.

On a busy day (i.e. a weekend or Holiday), a good option is to play the Phuket Country Club 9 hole course twice. It is next to the driving range, and also has its own clubhouse and check-in separate from the main club and the driving range. Par is 37, conditions are good (though the clubhouse is a bit run-down) and its a tough and scenic test of golf. Not many players come here because its only 9 holes, so its a 'best kept secret' for those in the know.

Hit 'em long and straight!

Archived