What happened to Phuket?

Belem

I used to visit Phuket every year I came to Thailand, but the last two years, I noticed it becoming more family oriented with expensive resorts pushing the backpackers to Koh Samui and Koh Phi Phi and the closing of most of the beer bars in Karon and Kata Beach. The place has gotten so expensive I don't even go there anymore. Most of the hotels there have raised their prices to three times what a similar hotel in Pattaya would charge, and don't even get me started on the prices restaurants charge, especially for seafood. Also, it has gotten to a point where most of the hotels won't allow you to have an overnight guest or will charge you for it. Even in the bars, you will pay twice what you will pay for women and alcohol than you will in Pattaya. Finally, the tuk-tuks are the biggest rip off artists in Thailand, in my opinion. What happened to Phuket?

Old timers have been asking what happened to Phuket for the last 15 years or more. It used to be a totally unspolit and little known place. (Well, we tried not tell anyone about it!!!) But tourists finally discover a place, flock to it and turn it into the kind of place they were trying to get away from.

p.s. In the '80s, Koh Samui was almost like Robinson Crusoe's island! But it's gone tourist in a frightening fashion.

Archived