Which GSM phone (brand/model)have you unlocked?

zion

Hi, I know there's been many questions on the topic of unlocking GSM phones to work with the prepaid cards from AIS or DTAC.

Gone back in the archives of this board and not much is specified on the brands and models that can be unlocked. I understand generally that Nokia's cannot be modified. Similarly, I understand unlocking can be done on Ericssons, Siemens, motorola - but I can't imagine this can work with all their models, especially with the latest.

For those who have had their phone unlocked successfully and it has subsequently been working normally with the prepaids(ie more than a day/week before dieing - other than running out of credit or being in a zone without a signal!!), can you specify:

1) the brand and model of the phone unlocked

I think this would be useful info for future folks who want to get their phone modified or purchase one that is modifiable (like me wink.gif" border="0 )

Thanks

While the information may be useful it would become dated quickly why not search google for [mobile sp unlock $MODEL] This will probabably take you to a place like gsmzone.com or goodalli.com where they sell the equipment to do the dirty deed. While I am not suggesting you purchase a cable or flashing your phones ROM to a crisp, you will be able to find out what phones are currently modifiable. I doubt that there is a phone that is unlockable, however the question remains at what expense. If you can read Thai you might try siamcellphone.com , and even if you can't (read Thai) you may be able to e-mail them for a referal once you decide which phone you wan't to use.

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Adik Gede ]

Thanks for the feedback. I had actually done what you suggest. I've included the url I used for anyone interested. Was surprised by some of the models mentioned.

However, as things sometimes work differently in Thailand, I had preferred to rely on info based on successfully accomplished modifications, hence my post (specifically addressed to those who had already done it, as opposed to whether this or that model was conceptually modifiable). I've heard things like this model was modified, but then died after, or that model is modifiable and someone else has said the opposite etc etc So just my usual skeptisicm at work; it's helped me in the past.

Cheers,

http://www.techgsm.com/gsm_cables.html

• 2 weeks later...

They can reprogram almost any phone now, I have personally had ericssons 388, T10, T28, T29, motorolas V series, Nokia can be done including the new ones but look at around 2000 baht for them, ericsson T28 and 29 can be done for 250 baht if you know where togo, and older models for 100 baht. I had a T10 on AIS and then had it reprogrammed to Dtac for the GF to use, no problems.

Hi,

I will be in Thailand for 3 weeks and need to be reachable 24/7 from home. I have the Ericsson T28. Could u give me the address of a reliable place where I could get it reprogram for AIS? And...will I be able to use it again back home?

Other possibility: buy a cheap used thai network compatible GSM. Any address for that as well?

Thnaks for ur help.

ben

You do not need to have your phone unlocked if you will be using your overseas SIM card for "roaming" while in Thailand. You only need to unlock it if you plan to use a Thai-purchased SIM card in your overseas-purchased phone.

Excellent remark, PvtDick.

I had an old Nokia 3310 modified at MBK for 2000 baht + AIS 12go Sim for 1000 baht two weeks ago.

Here in Chumpon i saw 2hand mobiles in a shop for 2 to 3000 baht.

I have a new european mobile as well, which I use to sms to friends, I use the old nokia 3310 for calls within Thailand.

Archived