US Voicestream Phone in LOS

tbear31

Does anyone know if a Voicestream phone purchased in the US will work in Thailand? It seems to be one of the only GSM carriers in the US, and they have one international phone that is 900/1800/1900 MHz(Motorola 7389). They also appear to have a roaming agreement to two carriers in Thailand. Is that all there is to it? Would you need to buy a SIM card in Thailand?

Just curious...

T

I used my motorola timeport 7389 last time I was in Thailand. If you buy the phone outside of thailand you need to change the IME number(or something like this) which can easy be done at MBK in Bangkok for around 500 baht.

It's possible if you buy a phone from voicestream that this phone is locked to use only in the voicestream network, but it's also easy to get it unlocked in bangkok.

Rooming it's very expensive so you better buy a one2call simcard in thailand. The only disadvantage with one2call is that you will not be able to make international calls

quote:

Originally posted by tbear31:

Does anyone know if a Voicestream phone purchased in the US will work in Thailand? It seems to be one of the only GSM carriers in the US, and they have one international phone that is 900/1800/1900 MHz(Motorola 7389). They also appear to have a roaming agreement to two carriers in Thailand. Is that all there is to it? Would you need to buy a SIM card in Thailand?

Just curious...

T

Just noticed your post.

I use Voicestream, Absolutely no problem.

Just remember to switch bands upon arrival in Asia. It works everywhere.

No need to purchase additional sim card

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

My Voicestream phone is a Ericson T28 World.

A tiny little phone you forget you have in your pocket. Works great in Bangkok. HOWEVER you must have "international roaming" turned on by Voicestream before you leave the US.

It seems to stay turned on forever. Just

remember its $2 or so per minute. A 10 second wrong number is a minute to them.

jim

Originally posted by gettingno:

"The only disadvantage with one2call is that you will not be able to make international calls"

You can make intenational phone calls with One-2-Call if you use international phone cards, like "PhoneNet" or "ThaiCard".

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived