BKK-SIN Air Asia OW tickets?

WorldFun

Just bough air asia one way ticket for me & TW & see 2 potential problems with this:

1. air asia checkin supposedly acc. their web requiring RTN ticket confirmation or SG residence documents?

2. SG immigration requiring the same if applicable according their web?

Now I know most airlines if not all formally require this, but few enforce this in practice or at least allow exceptions like if one manage to persuade them one actually is resident of the country travelling to or planning to be i.e. relocating...

Actually I do have employment pass approval in principle for SG & guess that'll also carry weight towards my wife & her entry, so does anyone thinks we'll still face problems via this route if not bothering buying refundable OW ticket out of SG?

Anyone tried this route previously?

Hi WF,

I have flown this route HEAPS... (Probably 15 times in the last year) and NEVER had a problem. (Mostly used Air Asia, but also Jetstar and Tiger).

Technically, yes, you are supposed to have an onward ticket out of Singapore to be let in, but as a farang from a "respectable" country, it's never been queried, or never been asked. At check in in Bangkok, or at Immigration in Singapore.

So if you're from USA, Canada, Europe, UK, Aust, NZ etc., it shouldn't be a problem.

The good things about low-cost airlines is that they've completely changed fare structures. Whereas in the past most fares have been based on a return (round-trip) ticket, now there are a lot more one-way fares being used, and the "onward ticket" question seems to have fallen by the wayside in a lot of places.

So you'll be fine - be careful about your wife however.

I did take a Thai girlfriend to Singapore once, and they asked to see a return ticket for HER, but not for me. (She was a GTG, not a working girl).

When we got to Changi Airport immigration, they took her into a backroom and grilled her about what she was, where she worked, when she's returning to Thailand etc. Probably because there's so many Thai working girls down in Singers, they are right onto it.

If your wife has taken your surname, and has the same surname as you on her passport, it shouldn't be a problem.

But if she's still got her original name on her passport, she may be in for some questioning at the airport in Singapore.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for those experiences, so even for the wife she should worried about denied boarding more prepare for a bit of grilling at SG immi :-)

She does share my sir name though & have a degree, so should be able to persuade she is there for genuine reasons...

Anybody had worse experiences or ever been denied or has to purchase extra ticket at airport?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived