Pattaya to Sihanoukville

Sukhumvit

Thanks for report, Sukhumvit. I found an absolute stunner in Koh Kong, but alas a bit of a starfish until I offered a generous tip.

Did you meet up with Brian at Fishermen's Den in S'ville. He can put you right about the scene there.

Yeah, there's a certain charm to Koh Kong. Dusty, dirty and sleazy but still fun.

In Snooky, I stayed in the guest house under Brian's joint for first couple of days. It was okay. Just fan rooms for $5 a night. Bit warm at night so moved out up to Weather Station/Victory Hill. Still up there. He's running his fishing trips still, or was when I was down there last week. Maybe worth a trip. He's got a couple of freelancers knocking around in his bar. Couple of other similar joints such as Star etc. Did you ever go to Snooky's Bistro? It's on the same street as Shiftys and Pims Guesthouse about half way between them and on opposite side of road. Run by a Viet woman who knows the scene intimately and can help out with rooms etc. She had a decent sized fan room for $7 which was worth it. Does good tucker, including a Monday night barby.

I've been here almost 2 weeks now and found out quite a lot about the local scene. Visited the chicken farm down by the port in the day and saw nothing of interest. Again at night went down to Biba and had a look in the chicken farm but same result. Maybe will post something lengthier. Downtown has several options including Blue Storm, Freedom Hotel etc. Then there's Blue Mountain with a couple of Vietnamese knocking shops. Up here on the hill it's a very relaxed scene. Few hostess bars with the occasional diamond. Worth hanging out here for beaches, very cheap beer for pissheads and very late bars. Been out till 3.45am and couple of bars still going strong. The women I have to say have been so so. I hate padded bras with a vengeance. They all seem to use them. So many disappointments... Still it's not all negative. I'm still hanging around and putting off moving on to PP. Was even thinking of Kampot but I hear that's pretty quiet.

It's some time since I was in Snooky. Brian used to have an excellent GH called Tradewinds nearby, which I think he regrets selling.

Thanks for the extra info. Snooky is perhaps a good place to sit out the mayhem of Pattaya's Songkran. I'm off to Angeles this year, but maybe next year.

:beer:

Gave Kampot a miss. Got into PP a couple of hours ago. Massive traffic jam on way in due to a rally by the Cambodian People's Party. Loads of flat bed trucks full of happy smiling politicos. Passed what looked like a fatality on the road. A motocycle guy flat on his back, dark arterial blood pooling around the back of his head. Crowd of curious onlookers and a cop. Route 4 is the pits. Seems that many drivers have almost a suicidal impetus. Missing head on collisions by split seconds.

Got to extend visa shortly etc if wanna stay in country and am aware of Cambodian new year next week so maybe government offices will shut down for a day or so. Hence came here. Looks okay so far. Reminds me of Saigon ten years ago. Except there's tons more barangs here.

Quite fancy the Bokor Hill Station trip. P'raps will head back to coast after visa sorted. Tonight? Not that bothered about doing the wild thing. Maybe just a few beers in the Green Vespa.

Archived