State of emergency?

Bkkbound04

Funny stuff going on in BKK..

The Nation

"I talked about politics, the economy and also the problems of the South, but General Sonthi Boonyaratglin said that what I said is 'nonsense', so should I talk about his double marriage, which is illegal? "I don't want to talk about his private life, but I will at the next rally if the general talks about me."

Handbags at dawn!!!

Good to see democcracy is safe and sound in the Land of Smiles.

JP

I think it is not illegal for Muslims.

Muslim or not I am all for it. The Thai guys I know that have done this- non-Muslims- married sisters.

Although they are all in the geriatric category now looking back at pictures from many years ago these ladies were HOT!

Can't think of a better incentive to stay faithful.

I looked up polygamy in Thailand. Yes, it is illegal ... if you register more than one marriage. But since a religious marriage ceremony is not legally binding, in effect Thais can marry as many times as they want. As long as Sonthi hasn't registered more than one, he has broken no law.

As an example, I recall one of my former student's marrying another teacher at the school she worked at and repeatedly getting nowhere when she asked her husband to register the marriage. My wife knew the gal and told me she knew why. It seems the guy had already a registered wife and children in another province! The guy didn't bother to tell that to the second gal -- a pretty one, too -- since he knew she wouldn't have gone through with it.

They had a Thai style wedding, followed by a reception for all of her friends and the other teachers at her school. Nevertheless, legally it meant absolutely nothing. She had no more rights than a mistress.

Archived