Thai phone in Europe

exit2dos

I can receive and send sms in France and Sweden with my 1-2-call, but sending a sms cost 20 baht. If you have enough money inside you can receive calls else the person phoning you will get an answering-machine voice message in Thailand. I guess more than 200 baht/minute to receive a call as you pay from Thailand to Europe. Actually you must have at least 1000 baht inside if you want to receive a call. Never tried to use the phone for phone out in Europe.

As for USA, thai phone will work if it matches the GSM frequency in USA and you have a GSM service provider in USA. To my knowledge only Cingular (now AT&T) and T-Mobile had GSM offerings (among other offerings). You would have to already have a GSM plan from them and take the Cingular or T-Mobile Sim and place it in your Thai phone, it would then boot with the Cingular or T-mobile number. I did try my 1-2 Call sim in USA and could not find a signal, however I have read on this or another forum where people have had some luck with 1-2 Call sim in USA. My experience says no.

I switch sims here and USA all the time. Incidentally, Cingular sim will work in Thailand, but the roaming charge is horrible ($1.99/minute).

I cannot speak for T-mobile.

Your phone should work if it supports the networks. Sanyo is a vague description, what model is it?

Make sure it hasn't sim lock, very likely if you bought it in a bundle, cheap phone for using 1-2 call or DTAC or TRUE. If you bought the phone directly from a shop independent from the sim card you should be fine! Your Thai Card definitely doesn't work in Austria, Czech or Hungary. I'd buy a T-Mobile prepaid card in Austria which supports roaming access (expensive) or a new sim card in every country. Czech and Hungarian sim cards are amazingly cheap!

That would be Samsung T 108.

Ideally, I'd like to take the phone to a phoneplace, where I'm going, and get hooked up with local access. If it's just swapping sim cards and is not a big deal to do.

Maybe it's better to just get one in Vienna that I can use in CZ, DK and Hungary, while I travel around. That's what I'm trying to figure out. One that worked in those countries would be ideal.

it may work in other Euro countries , but the charges will be high , both calling out and recieving calls ,

If you need to keep in touch with home you might be better off buying a Sim in each country, send a text message / email with your new number.

this way you have a local number for people to call you back on,

most people will not call to another country,

My german prepaid SIM recieved calls in Prague,

OC

Archived