What exactly is the Taxi Mafia?

wonderlust

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's just a general term for semi organised groups of drivers and touts who get together in tourist locations with the purpose of charging tourists as much as the market will bear, or sometimes more. I suppose some are involved in criminal activity other than overcharging but they're pretty high profile if the mug comes back with the cops.

If you've got the time its best to walk past them and flag a passing cab on another street, eg I always ignore the pack in Suk soi 11 and walk down to Suk and flag a cab there who usually kicks the meter on as soon as I get in.

Taxi Mafia?

The previous post pretty much covers my understanding regarding the Taxi Mafia - apart from any Tourist gouging the purpose of the "Mafia" is to protect their patch from other Thai "Mafia". Like da Union :cool:

IME the word "Mafia" in Thailand covers a multiple of sins (pun intended :grin: ).......and often just refers to folk involved in criminal activity of various levels who know / know off other people in the same "proffesion" - rather than any more formal Sopranos style "organisation".

In Samui they have so called "Taxi Meters" but once inside, the meters aren't on display and are never used.

As a general rule of thumb they grossly overcharge and on many occasions guests from various hotels (including upscale) have been dumped at uncanny times miles away from their destination because the drives during their ride increased the price. Don't agree, than walk.

The clearest example would be say in Pattaya. The price from Pattaya to the airport is fixed, as is the price to bangkok (800 baht). Of this, 500 baht goes to the taxi, the rest to the "mafia". They are the ones who put up those little boothes everywhere that advertise the taxi services. You will see no taxi's cruising around in Pattaya to pick up customers. Taxi drivers who *do* try an operate outside of the system get a thorough kicking to remind them that its not such a good idea. As a tourist, you see little of it, but the drivers are well aware of the rules...

-j-

It's all pretty small time, very local, they keep competitors out and milk the punters.

Sure Samui and Phuket are different but they have protection higher up.

Lower Suk tends to be organised Piggy but there are that many cabs dropping off from other areas you can be in one and gone before the touts know it, that's why they hang out in the Sois.

The taxi from Pattaya to the airport is usually a Bangkok taxi which has dropped off a fare in Pattaya and wants some compensation for travelling back. Bt500 is better than nothing.

In Pattaya the real taxi mafia are the ones who control the baht buses, who can have one, etc. All the advertising has to be arranged through or with them.

The Pattaya-Bangkok situation is probably the most interesting. No matter whether you book through a hotel or a travel agent or one of those booths it's a fixed price. It seems to be more than a small-time local affair. Whoever gets the 300 baht for every taxi trip from Pattaya to Bangkok is making a killing.

Archived