Koh Lanta experiences

Donut

Dear all, following 12 years of yearly visits to Koh Samui we have decided to go to Koh Lanta. As we haven't been there before I would like some hotel recommendations in the 1000-1500 THB range. All other inputs and suggestions are welcomed. We are travelling with two children but as I will bring the in-laws to look after the kids all recommendation of good beach bars are welcomed too :D .

Thanx in advance. D

Only 60 days to go- yeah.

That is a surprisingly negative view and I too was thinking of going there because it has a reputation of being nicer and off the beaten path. The bar scene, euro families, or boring aspects wouldn't really bother me. But good snorkeling yes that would be a requirement! So where are the better places you are thinking about so I can get an idea of your ideals?

Koh Lanta would be a great place to go if you are bringing kids... stay on Klong Dao Beach and you're not far from Ban Saladan which is where the ferries arrive. There you'll find a number of excellent & inexpensive seafood restaurants along the main drag with piers extending out over the water.

We usually stay at Lanta Sea House, and Andaman Lanta Resort, or Maya Koh Lanta Resort for a bit more $$$. All have pools and are on the beach. Snorkeling and scuba tours can be arranged through any of them.

Koh Lanta is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle. There are very few touts, no bar scene which is good to get away from. Cheap food and accom.

Get a M/c and ride around the island, on the top of a big hill in the middle of the Island there is a great little restaurant.

Been there 4 times now love it, great for the family.

Red roads (don't wear white, don't bring white !). Food OTT compared to islands further south. Accommodation was overpriced we thought but not massively so at the mid range. However, the island has gotton more exposure of late and I would suspect that prices have risen with the normal corresponding fall in quality.

However, the island has gotton more exposure of late and I would suspect that prices have risen with the normal corresponding fall in quality.

It shouldn't be a problem off-season, but the increase during peak times is ridiculous... post-tsunami room rates in Feb. 2005 were 800 baht for a nice bungalow; this year we paid 1600 for lesser accomodations... everything was booked solid by Scandinavian tour agents... :surprised:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I started to believe that my question was too far off. Being at least a semi European family it is hard to complain over that issue. Anyway, just got a mail from a fellow Scandinavian living on the Island and he recommended not to go until August because of bad weather. So we might stay on the other coast and venture north to Koh Pang Nhang. Haven't been there for the past 10 years but liked the north of the Island then - and will stay clear of Had Rin.

Again - thanks for the feed back.

/D

Archived