Excellent Summary of Aids Drugs Dispute

Gadfly

Looks like Abbott has backed off...

Abbott Laboratories, one of the three pharmaceutical giants whose drugs face compulsory licensing in Thailand, has backed off from its threats, saying it wants to continue selling its HIV/Aids drugs here.

Previously, the firm planned to withhold sale of a heat-stable form of Aluvia, its HIV/Aids drug, as punishment for Thailand's compulsory licensing policy.

Representatives of Abbott made the company's stance known yesterday while meeting with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) secretary-general Siriwat Tiptaradol. The FDA also met with representatives from Sanofi-Aventis yesterday.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/15May2007_news03.php

Part of me is kind of hoping that the WTO/US/EU decide to escalate the dispute by putting extra taxes on holidays/flights to Thailand or somesuch measure and that 'good' tourism will start to fall. Also that a trade war will make people poorer and more susceptible to bribery so showing will again come to Nana.

(Yes, with any issue, my first concern is always the Nana 'showing' angle :D )

You are right. This was never about AIDS or the poor of Thailand. Look at the picture of the Minister on the front page of the Bangkok Post. Looks do not mean much but the tenor of the article certainly demonstrates high stakes robbery of a Multi-national by Thailand.

I wonder how far he will go before he realizes the shambles he has made of any Thai integrity?

Journey

>I wonder how far he will go before he realizes the shambles he has made of any Thai integrity?

Thais, or at least that minister and his group are acting like a bunch of thieves in a candy shop.

You can almost see the wheels turning - we got away with it for that first lot - lets see what else we can grab. Thieves pure and simple.

My hope is that the CEO's of the leading pharmacuetical companies in the world (and there are not *that* many), are having nice little conference chats about respect for intellectual property and about teaching certain countries a *very* hard lesson....

The *simple* point, is that if every (or even enough) countries tried this, drug development would simply halt. Even today I would think that there is a fair tendancy for drug companies to decide that it is just not worth it to develop new HIV drugs.....

-j-

The Nation

Today

Link

Thailand to ink public health cooperation with Brazil in August

Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla said he and Brazilian counterpart Joze Gomez Temperao would ink an agreement on public health cooperation in mid-August in Brazil.

"In addition to cooperation on health development and generic-drug manufacturing, we also plan to jointly manufacture influenza vaccine," Mongkol said.

Both Thailand and Brazil have enforced compulsory licensing on Efavirenz, which is used to treat Aids patients.

Mongkol said Brazil had received the know how to produce the influenza vaccine from Sanofi Aventis, while Thailand would learn the know how from China.

The Nation

Archived